World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went down the gower yesterday for a run out...lovely, wet and howling wind but the sea looked great.... well churned up so i decide to get some bait on the way home.
Popped into keens and picked up some crab and ragworm..must say excellent crab..not your small cack half dead ones that you normally pick up at 3pm on a saturday afternoon that i have seen being sold recently closer to home..oh and saw the new century (forgot what model it was) the butt was 19mm thick...lovely rod for casting 5ozs...might have to invest!!!

anyway woke up this morning with an absolutley monumental hangover...last time i'm drinking black sambuca for at least 6 days!!

anyway got down the gower and looked at langland.....no chance.
looked at caswell.....uh oh

ended up getting to oxwich for 8 and going for a wander down the point as it was a small tide...not really expecting much just needed to find somewhere safe, sheltered and deep water. Set up and couldn't find the elastic....new one in the cup holder of the car, i'd forgotten to chuck it in the rucksack so took the risk and left the gear on the rocks and took the walk back..30 minutes later and sweating like a fat bird on a shopping spree i got back exhausted.

first cast typical hound bite that i connected with but lost 5 seconds later as the flourocarbon hooklength parted at the knot!!!!

fished for an hour before the next bite and managed to land a schoolie about 1 3/4lb which spiked me before i realised i'd forgotten the camera..starting to get the picture on how shapeless i was!!!

next cast another slightly bigger at 2lb (released)

then it went quiet for an hour or two until the ebb and down to the last couple of crab i had a typical rod launcher as a hound headed towards three cliffs...bit of a tussle and had him on the rocks...guestimate about 6lb and in lovely condition.

last cast and a new species for the year in the shape of a gurnard... greedy get had 2 crab on a 4/0 hook was tempted to keep him as he was probably about a 1 1/2lb and 17" long but still hadn't shaken of the hangover still and couldn't really be arsed gutting and cleaning it so off it went after barking at me!!! that startled me a touch.

took the walk back through the woods and got thoroughly muddy on the way back and then proceeded in messing up the car too!!!

mind you better than lying on the sofa feeling sorry for myself

john

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
Went down the gower yesterday for a run out...lovely, wet and howling wind but the sea looked great.... well churned up so i decide to get some bait on the way home.
Popped into keens and picked up some crab and ragworm..must say excellent crab..not your small cack half dead ones that you normally pick up at 3pm on a saturday afternoon that i have seen being sold recently closer to home..oh and saw the new century (forgot what model it was) the butt was 19mm thick...lovely rod for casting 5ozs...might have to invest!!!

anyway woke up this morning with an absolutley monumental hangover...last time i'm drinking black sambuca for at least 6 days!!

anyway got down the gower and looked at langland.....no chance.
looked at caswell.....uh oh

ended up getting to oxwich for 8 and going for a wander down the point as it was a small tide...not really expecting much just needed to find somewhere safe, sheltered and deep water. Set up and couldn't find the elastic....new one in the cup holder of the car, i'd forgotten to chuck it in the rucksack so took the risk and left the gear on the rocks and took the walk back..30 minutes later and sweating like a fat bird on a shopping spree i got back exhausted.

first cast typical hound bite that i connected with but lost 5 seconds later as the flourocarbon hooklength parted at the knot!!!!

fished for an hour before the next bite and managed to land a schoolie about 1 3/4lb which spiked me before i realised i'd forgotten the camera..starting to get the picture on how shapeless i was!!!

next cast another slightly bigger at 2lb (released)

then it went quiet for an hour or two until the ebb and down to the last couple of crab i had a typical rod launcher as a hound headed towards three cliffs...bit of a tussle and had him on the rocks...guestimate about 6lb and in lovely condition.

last cast and a new species for the year in the shape of a gurnard... greedy get had 2 crab on a 4/0 hook was tempted to keep him as he was probably about a 1 1/2lb and 17" long but still hadn't shaken of the hangover still and couldn't really be arsed gutting and cleaning it so off it went after barking at me!!! that startled me a touch.

took the walk back through the woods and got thoroughly muddy on the way back and then proceeded in messing up the car too!!!

mind you better than lying on the sofa feeling sorry for myself

john
cracking report john nice to fish with a hang over mate lol see you soon tight lines

·
Registered
386 Posts
Good report mate - did you fish from the sloping rocks? (Near the wreck) or further out? Did you lose much gear? I noticed that there are a lot more sandy patches heading out towards the sloping rocks than there used to be...

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
about 500 yards passed the wreck ..found a nice flattish platform but sure that it would be covered on tides a meter higher (there was an escape route)

john

G

·
thats one hell of a hike mate you would have had to have a chopper for me for that one :unsure:great fishing john mate:victory:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Glad your trip was worth it ! Apparently a smootie was supposedly caught with sandeel wrapped in squid down there last night ? hmmm. Nice to see the fish are there though.

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
well done John m8 :thumbs:
perhaps the new rod you were looking at was the new Tip Tornado LD? :unsure:

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Which iv just ordered lol

·
Registered
1,446 Posts

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
Ohh mate, saw it yesterday, feels so nice, couldnt resist lol
I saw one on "that auction site" a few days ago. Buy now price wss 200....but he deleted it. Probably realised they were in short supply and he could get more...I was gutted :(

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
great report there.nice to see some hounds and bass showing.
went down this morning about 8'ish as well after brands allnighter.had a quick walk on the beach,but felt too shattered,even though it looked good there..al:fishing:

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

thats the one

lovely rod, may have to raid the piggy bank!!
be interested in what you think of it once you've tried it akita

john

1 - 19 of 19 Posts