World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gona keep this one as short as possible, it was an interesting dive!

Its a visual report on what i saw, i WISH iI could have caught them all!

Dived the wreck, it was sooooo easy to find as it was 2 feet above the water line!, i also saw the white arrow, I was a long way off the other day!

Visibilty was only a few feet which made it quite a scary dive given it was only 20 feet, but what a mass of material!!!! there tonnes of it.

I swam along side the central tower and dropped along side it, immediatley started encountering fish! about 12 feet town, there was a shoal of about 6-8 triggers within the ladder shape of the structure, all pretty big.

moving round the wreck amongst all the structures, i saw a number of BIG wrasse and 4 - 5 big pollock, also saw a few large shoals of small pollack!

Saw quite a few fish which I cant identify, triggers were not everywhere but I did see a few more! but I almost jumped out my wetsuit in excitement went i saw a huge flank of silver inside the wreck, thought it was a bass, as i looked closer it was the biggest mullet i ever seen!!

went a little deeper moving to the ocean edge of the wreck, I encountered a conger, a small one, no more than 3 lbs! he was cute, thrashing his head left and right! no other notable fish to mention other than hundreds of the dragonet things on the sand! saw very few shell fish though!

Came across NO ANCHORS:g: exept a RELLY OLD crap one! left it there!

came across a lot of gear though, stocked up on a few leads and swivels!!!:yeah:

a lot of stuff was snagged on a LONG piece of abandoned rope joining two abandoned pots, one of which was stuck on the wreck! I cut the rope, and coiled it into the pot for some easier fishing for you all in future!

Reactions: Brand and Andy ezra

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Exactly what we are fishing into :clap: well done on clearing that rope, it seems that it is regularly dived on as Wil had to wait for divers to go from there on Saturday, that's probably where the anchors have gone! but the fish dont seem to mind they must move back as soon as people leave. Pity you never dived it on a small tide the visibility was good last week, even I could see it :help: We dont have any idea as to its size so the more details you give us the better idea we have as to where we can anchor without "investing" them in it!:nonono:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there is a main structure on the wreck, but there is some outcast stuff too!

its definately a popular dive site, im amazed ive never bothered before, im not part of a club though, i dont do organized dives.

Il happily skirt round it on a small tide if you wana meet me there, if i keep my dive buoy tight, you will see the out line of the wreck! you would have to commit it to memory i think though!its not like you can draw a line aroung it!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
couple of links
http://www.ukdiving.co.uk/wrecks/wreck.php?id=266
Its full of beer:drunk:
1945 - The Solor, an 8262 ton Norwegian ship out of New York carrying a cargo of oil and crated gliders, was torpedoed in the Irish Sea. She limped up the Bristol Channel and two days after being hit she beached to the east of Oxwich Point. Forty men of her crew of forty-four came ashore alive. She broke in two; the aft section of the hull was towed to Briton Ferry whilst the forward section of the ship was left behind for local scrap. Some remains of this wartime wreck can still be seen at low tide. The best view is from the rocky outcrop past Oxwich Church. (Ref: 070)
http://www.shipwrecks-wales.co.uk/i...-shipwrecks&catid=2:gower-shipwrecks&Itemid=4

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
there is a main structure on the wreck, but there is some outcast stuff too!

its definately a popular dive site, im amazed ive never bothered before, im not part of a club though, i dont do organized dives.

Il happily skirt round it on a small tide if you wana meet me there, if i keep my dive buoy tight, you will see the out line of the wreck! you would have to commit it to memory i think though!its not like you can draw a line aroung it!
To meet & do that, knowing where it "starts & finishes" & getting an idea how wide it is from "side to side" by watching your dive bouy, would mean that I would have a mental picture of what is down there! I would love to do the same on the "Strombus" as that seems to be a well scattered "scrap yard" too, & few, if any, know exactly what is down there, how long? how wide? how high? I do know that it holds a lot of different species for anybody who perseveres on it!:g:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
couple of links
http://www.ukdiving.co.uk/wrecks/wreck.php?id=266
Its full of beer:drunk:
[/url]
Ive heard that, im not up for going inside to look for it though! it would need to be crystal clear and no tide running! there is a lot of debris down there and not just confined to the bottom, easy to get caught up!

you need eyes on the back of your to dive round it, let alone get inside for some broken beers bottles!lol il stick to my strong bow!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To meet & do that, knowing where it "starts & finishes" & getting an idea how wide it is from "side to side" by watching your dive bouy, would mean that I would have a mental picture of what is down there! I would love to do the same on the "Strombus" as that seems to be a well scattered "scrap yard" too, & few, if any, know exactly what is down there, how long? how wide? how high? I do know that it holds a lot of different species for anybody who perseveres on it!:g:
il keep an eye on my schedule and the tides and see if we cant co-ordinate something for the wreck at Oxwich!

As the Strombus, i got a co-ordiate for it, but know NOTHING about it! no idea where, how far how deep or anything! il dive it if its safe though!

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
il keep an eye on my schedule and the tides and see if we cant co-ordinate something for the wreck at Oxwich!

As the Strombus, i got a co-ordiate for it, but know NOTHING about it! no idea where, how far how deep or anything! il dive it if its safe though!
But it seems to be in different places as well, its not where my chartplotter says it is! apparently its in several pieces & you need a good depth sounder to identify what is what, the "entry level" ones that I have are not good enough for the job, maybe Father Xmas will bring me a new one?

·
Premium Member
38,240 Posts
Ive heard that, im not up for going inside to look for it though! it would need to be crystal clear and no tide running! there is a lot of debris down there and not just confined to the bottom, easy to get caught up!

you need eyes on the back of your to dive round it, let alone get inside for some broken beers bottles!lol il stick to my strong bow!
A wise man.

Do you dive alone?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A wise man.

Do you dive alone?
ummmm.............:giveup: not wishing to be on your wrong side for being wreckless ken:g:, I know you have alot of experience, but as mentioned previously i do like to be honest!

I do dive alone, i find it easier than the worry of a second diver, its not easy in our visibility, 10 feet between you and you may as well be alone cos you wont find your buddy again, and that creates a problem for the boat!

And co-ordinating someone to dive with is a nightmare! I only do it if my dad is on the boat though, hes got a second set of dive gear and we have an emergency buoy to be deployed if theres a BIG problem! never needed it though thankfully!

We do fairly shallow dives, averaging id say 25 feet.

its the other reason i would never go IN a wreck, or under an overhang, cos i dont have a second diver to make sure I come out!!!

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
Sounds scarey...think I'll stick to fishing :eek:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But it seems to be in different places as well, its not where my chartplotter says it is! apparently its in several pieces & you need a good depth sounder to identify what is what, the "entry level" ones that I have are not good enough for the job, maybe Father Xmas will bring me a new one?
any idea on the depth mate?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Nice report mate, I used to dive it a lot when I was younger. On a good day (and you don't get many) its one of the best dive sites in the world! I once took an angling journalist friend out there for 'a bit of fun'. He was not expecting much but it was one of those days, perfect vis etc.. and he said that it was probably the best dive of his life. And he has dived all over the world.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bet was awesome seeing all that, shame u aint got a water proof camera. wouldnt mind start diving myself, even though i got a fobia of deep water.
I did have a camera, but i lost the case when the old man moved house! id love to have got a pic of the mullet! im gona invest in a camera, the particles make it difficult to get a shot over 3 feet away, but its possible!!

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
any idea on the depth mate?
Not more than 12-15ft I would have thought, SB&SAC divers dive it regularly apparently its quite popular, again as you say the visibility would have to be good, if we ever get a summer & some settled weather it might be worth you having a look at that as well, but again I suppose all the anchors have been collected already!:roll1:
I would be interested in seeing the coordinates you have for the Strombus, & whether they are anything like mine! PM me if you like

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i could snorkel that on a good day mate!LOL

you got a pm with the co-ordinates i have!

i cant enter co-ordinates on google earth, it would help me out if i could!

Rich

·
Registered
603 Posts
my mates brother used to dive it in the 70s said there were loads of huge conger on there then. he recons he got bit though his wet suit by one getting to close. has anyone on here heard of the ships boiler in overton in the 80s my buddy caught an eel out in swansea bay it was 55 pound at the time which i was told was a swansea bay record but the eel he reconds down in overton is well over a hundred pound in weight but has grown so big that it is traped in the ships boiler he came across it while crabing and said it scared the living day lights out of him i have seen a photo of the 55 pound eel he caught but he recons this thing had a head like a five gallon drum that would have put the eel he caught to shame also in the 80s a guy i knew from a fishing club in the townhill area recons theres a monster living under devils bridge on worms head that he use to hook regular just for the sport of it but because of its size he was unable to land it. anyone with any other storys like this they would like to share.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
my mates brother used to dive it in the 70s said there were loads of huge conger on there then. he recons he got bit though his wet suit by one getting to close. Ive seen a good few conger, none id say MASSIVE though!they tend to be pretty quiet in their holes if you dont try and grab them!
has anyone on here heard of the ships boiler in overton he reconds down in overton is well over a hundred pound in weight but has grown so big that it is traped in the ships boiler he came across it while crabing and said it scared the living day lights out of him . Ive dived the boiler, didnt see a 100lb eel though!!! in which way was he crabbing, diving I assume, you cant see it from the shore! it holds shoals of small pollack and some big wrasse but to be honest, the wreck in oxwich is a better structure! the boiler wreck area is very flat, not much left, the boiler being pretty much it, its just a BIG cylinder sat on the sea floor![/QUOTE]

1 - 20 of 56 Posts