World Sea Fishing Forums banner

oyster ledge swansea

5K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  dog hop 
#1 ·
hi all need some help,just bought a gps system for new (second hand) boat.berthed her in swansea marina.trying to find the white oyster ledge,with no success been told great mark to catch cod.anybody fished this mark and does it produce,is there a book or site where i can obtain gps numbers for and around swansea.

#3 ·
oyster ledge runs between Langland and Pwll Du head, i have heard it is a good big cod mark as the ledge drops down about 100 feet, i havent been able to find the mark yet but have only just bourght my new boat, so hopfully the colour fish finder may help, your best bet is to circle the area with your fishfinder on!!! when i find it i'll let you know the position. so what marks do you normaly fish? i was out yesterday blowing a bit!! fished the yellow boys mark at swansea and about 5 miles off langlandbut could only manage a load of those BARKING fools and a few big whiteys, so much for the spring tides!!!!

#4 ·
White Oyster Ledge can be OK but its patchy, you may as well put the S.W.I.G.G. Bouy in line with the pier or lighthouse, & stay far enough away from the bouy to be out of the shipping lane (its a mid-channel marker so they go either side of it) look for the groupings of local boats & you wont go far wrong ;)

#5 ·
Hi codfather, i really dont know of any sites or books that will give you gps numbers where you can fish off swansea.....if you join a local boat fishing club u may get some info off other members , but my advice is get out there , listen out for other skippers chatting on vhf and if you find any marks you like just fix them into you're gps so you gan go to mark again....i dont know if u have used GPS before or not but this may help.go to this site..... www.redcar-fish.co.uk have a look through this site and you will see if you contact them they will send you pages and pages of free info on understanding GPS,VHS, DSC & GMDSS.... hope some of this helps you mate , and the ledge you're refering to fishes well most of the year round but tends to get very crowded out there in winter...anything else i can help with just give me a call mate.....if you want any cardiff GPS marks let me know and ill send them by e-mail ......tight lines........TAFFY.

#7 ·
:angry: You won't need GPS to find the Bl**dy Doggy's in Swansea bay. Been out today and was catching 3 at a time, 1 on each hook of a pennel rig many times.
Codfather if you do get out to the White oyster ledges, there are still Bass being caught on Storm Shads on the drift.

#8 ·
The numbers I have for the White Oyster Ledge are 51-29-85 & 003-58-70 but it is an area not a specific, I used to fish around the peaks, but the run out there is wicked on a big tide, anchoring is an art form, & pulling it back up is not for the faint hearted :angry: Its a mark to drift over but have a nice day out there, one thing for sure you cant run aground out there :D

#9 ·
codfather,i tried to message u last nite about the whereabouts of the white oyster reef,its not to be confused with whiteshell ridge which runs parrallell to the shore from langland point to midway up pwll du headland it can produce large fish especially off the cave on brandy cove the old welsh cod record was caught off here on tony whiteheads charter boat 40 pound plus .but white oyster reef is about 2 miles due south of the mixen bouy hope this helps,
dog hop :blink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.