World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Initially I made the wrong decision with the weather. The forecasts were 'varied' so, airing on the side of caution I didnt put a trip together. Instead planned on heading down the boat to do a few odd jobs. While there I the weather was far better than expected.

Chores done, I got home around 12:15 a quick ring around to a few regulars that have been able to make last minute trips in the past. Seems most were busy but managed to get another 2 members interested, by 12:45 the trip was planned, car loaded; we managed to get the through the locks by 2pm.

As we were only heading out for a few hours and a reasonable swell still running out side the Mumbles Head we decided to stick inside the bay. Fish came pretty quickly, my first fish of 2016 was a chunky pouting.

The pin whiting soon came on the feed - naturally they found their way onto a 8/0 attached to 250lb mono cast out away from the boat. It didn't take long for the eels to find them.

Other than the 8 eels to 20lb plenty of whiting, including some really nice jumbos kept the rods nodding along with dogs, a few bullhuss and a lone dab - thats not to mention the sea monsters Paul managed to lose. The only sour notes were the cooker was playing up meaning it took 2hrs or so to cook a few burgers also, the sea state took its toll on ossi - after a few whiting he decided a kip in the cab was called for. Other than that - pretty nice was to spend a Saturday afternoon.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Nice one Dean them strombus congers must have been hungry! With the temperatures the way they are who knows what will come up. John

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey John, what the pictures dont show very well was how chunky the eels were, most were pretty short and had relatively small heads but were really thick. Looks like they've been making the most of the higher water temp. They also seem to be more active when the waters really coloured and its like hot chocolate out there at the moment.

The strange thing was we only had the one pouting, normally we get tons there but for some reason they didn't wanna play ball. The whiting made up for it though.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Well done on making the most of a window of opportunity to go fishing. Bet it was nice to get a bend in the rod and some fresh air. Great report and pictures, Happy new year.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hey John, what the pictures dont show very well was how chunky the eels were, most were pretty short and had relatively small heads but were really thick. Looks like they've been making the most of the higher water temp. They also seem to be more active when the waters really coloured and its like hot chocolate out there at the moment.

The strange thing was we only had the one pouting, normally we get tons there but for some reason they didn't wanna play ball. The whiting made up for it though.

Maybe the conger ate all the pouting Dean nice catch by the way I've been fishing knab for a while only 1 cod I've seen a few others as well

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well done on making the most of a window of opportunity to go fishing. Bet it was nice to get a bend in the rod and some fresh air. Great report and pictures, Happy new year.
Happy new year mate, yeah was really nice to get out. Bend in the rod was pretty accurate - a reasonable sized eel picked up a scratching rig size 6 hook fished on a really light boat quiver rod, I love catching big round fish on that gear but rays and conger are horrible to fight on light gear.

·
Team Loonz
8,189 Posts
Another good report and quality pics.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well done Dean, maybe I should have had ago instead of just doing a lap of the bay, nice to have met you and had a chat that morning, thanks for the cuppa and bacon,cheers mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts