World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday & Sunday saw me fishing in Jersey; I needed to book the Friday and Monday off as I'd be travelling so I took the an extra couple of days either side; as I thought if the weather was good I could either stay in Jersey an extra couple of days or fish back home.

I didn't really fancy/ couldn't justify staying Jersey any longer so from the lounge of Jersey Airport I sent a text around to see if anyone fancied a trip the next day - initially it was going to be a hounds trip, but I changed my mind when I realised I'd have to run around looking for crab when I got back to Swansea, so I decided we'd go flatty bashing.

7:30 saw 3 of us onboard heading out into a pea soup fog, radar on we made our way through the fairway bouys, as we rounded mumbles head we saw a few gannets and porpoises working. We stopped and tried the feathers, but didn't have anything - in reality by the time we were setup we'd lost the birds and porpoises in the thick fog. We continued to make our way west to a series of sandbanks, here we found more gannets - lots of razor bills, gillimots and terns along with the normal gull species.

Here we found lots of jelly fish, which I'm often looking for when trying to find mackerel, but we only found a few gurnard and a lone dab for a hour or 2's drifting round over slack water.

We moved north to the main peak of the bank and put the anchor down. Fishing was steady, but not as good as we'd expected with dogs and very small dabs making up the catch along with the occasional thornback. I'm guessing the thornbacks were the reason why more small fish weren't feeding. But we couldnt complain, there was plenty to sit and watch, again a caravan of sea birds sat out the back of the boat, with the occasional pod of porpoises moving through. An interesting, fairly infrequent sight we had was an arctic skua harassing terns and kittiwakes; encouraging them to release their hard won food.

We moved across to the bay in attempt to find a few more fish, which we did... more gurnards, lots more dabs (and of better size) a few little whiting and unfortunately the same number and frequency of dogs.

The weather improved through the afternoon as you can see from this picture - T-Shirt and glasses weather!!

We ended the day by joining one of the commercial boats drifting off the headland for mackerel, which we found a few along with a pollack before we had to shoot back in time for Carl to get to work!!

11/05
Again a damp and foggy day Wednesday saw me jumping on a trip skippered by John heading out for bigger fish, we started the day drifting for mackerel in the bay, but only found one. We headed over to some mixed ground in deepish water off port talbot.

The first fish aboard a thronback for John Bevan, followed by a stream of doggies, but soon the hounds found our crab baits.

As slack water approached a few huss and congers started to make an appearance.

We got the anchor up around 1:45pm to get in before the lock closure. After fueling up we ended the day in the Fords club for a early pint before heading home!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
H i Dean,
Some lovely looking fish, and good report.
thanks for the heads up on the way out of the lock. Great to see the summer species haven't forgotten how to navigate their way back to the gower!
roll on summer.

G

·
0 Posts
nice to see a good boat report on here
well done and great pictures!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts