World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4:30pm Friday saw me looking out from the office through the pier heads at the flat glassy sea - as my Mrs was away so instead of going to the pub and risking a sore head for the trip the next day I put together a last minute trip out in the bay instead.

I text around a few people but only ossi could make it at such short notice, I left work at 5pm sharp, nipped home, grabbed some gear and picked him up on the way down to the boat - we were down the boat, burgers on and through the locks by 6:15pm.

A few attempts of anchoring got us bang on top of the part of wreckage I wanted to fish, fishing started with a few pouting & poor cod.

I had a little conger on the bigger bait; put out more as ground bait than anything else - 3-4 squid slashed up the middle exposing all the gooey bits inside.

I then lost a on the surface bass which took a size 4 circle and little piece of squid intended for a bream.

Ossi had a really weird bite, consisting of a rattle then slack line being dropped back to him - this sea monster was the culprit

We lifted and dropped it in the net a few times in an attempt to get it to release its ink before it came aboard - but it wouldn't jet; so I assumed it had inked on the way up... I was wrong!! There was ink everywhere!

The rattle at the start was a little pouting, he didnt fair too well from the run in with the cuttle.

As it was still twiching, it went back down with a 8/0 nose ring hopefully for a conger, but nothing bothered it until I reeled it in where it was followed up by a bass, but i think it was more curious than predatory.

Saturday 11th:
Day started at 8am, after the safety briefing etc we headed down onto the reef at langland, bream were the main target but smooth hounds, huss and dogs made up the bulk of the catch.

We did have a few bream (5-6) and a nice red gurnard, but nothing to set the world alight. Once the tide had turned we headed down to oxwich to look for some mackerel, they were absent. We had a number of pollack and a gar fish - but no mackerel.

We headed over to the knoll, slim pickings here also - a few gurnard, a hand full of dabs, one turbot and one thornback was all we had for a few hrs fishing.

We ended the day back up on the reef, again slow, dog, huss and one small bass were all we had for a hour or 2's fishing. Fished the day around 5:30pm, there were a number of gannets diving outside the mixon on the way back, but everyone had packed up so we didnt bother checking out what they were feeding on.

In all a nice day - rain alot & fishing was a bit slow though.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
great stuff love the cuttle

·
Registered
226 Posts
Excellent report Dean as always

1 - 6 of 6 Posts