World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd missed a couple of weeks fishing because of social commitments and weather conditions. I'd arranged to fish the CBYC Cod Comp aboard Lady Jue 3 on the Sunday, but a relatively good forecast for Saturday too could not be missed. As I had a little running around to do for bait and odds and sods for Sundays trip I set the trip up as a short whiting bashing trip 9 - 3pm. Only managed to get 3 other people onboard, but seeing as we wouldn't be going far it wouldn't be too bad.

We ran out, greeted by a lovely flat sea. There was a dirty band running around 1mile out from the river mouth, but once this was passed hopes were high! Nigel brought along a lobster pot, so we set that on the outer strombus on the way out before running to a little general fishing mark towards the swigg that has a habit of throwing up some early cod.

On arriving to the mark, the sounder indicated there were large numbers of bait fish / whiting on the bottom, anchor set we began fishing. It didn't take very long before a mix of whiting and pouting were being swung aboard. After a hour or so, a seal was spotted just north of us, followed by a few porpoises which hung around off the back of the boat for a little while. They were acting slightly different to what I've normally observed, they'd sit on the surface for a few seconds before going back down. I don't know if they were just taking in big breaths before going back to the bottom and feeding. The number of whiting around its no surprise there are plenty of predators in the bay at the moment.

After about 2 hours Nigel started to moan that he's catching too many fish as he was struggling to keep two rods in the water at the same time - on the way out he was saying "I never catch anything!" "I always blank" blah blah :bleh:

Fishing continued for the next few hours with double, and triple shots of whiting coming in regularly. I spent a lot of time shelling mussels for Sunday and cooking, but when I did get back to fishing it was great fun using a coarse rod and 10lb braid - reasonable sized whiting of 1 - 1.25lb gave a cracking account of themselves.

We got a few whiting in the live well so I thought we'd end the day with a few drifts over one of the inshore wrecks to see if there were any bass about, as we got there the heavens opened and we got soaked, after a few drifts decided enough was enough and called it a day about 2:15pm.

Here's a video Paul put together of the trip.

[video=youtube;QGpydxO15k0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGpydxO15k0[/video]

We ended the day with a massive number of whiting, a few pout, a couple of dabs and 20 or so dogs, I'm sure the cod will be in following the whiting soon.

CBYC Cod Comp 11/11/2012
After a little running around Saturday I managed to get my bait sorted for the comp. I had 3lb of monster blow lug, 4 wraps of blacks, the contents of 2kgs of mussels, blueys, squid and hopes could not have been higher.

I got picked up by Leigh at 5:20am before we picked up Steve and made our way down to Cardiff, we searched around for a open shop so we could pick up some sausages for breakfast but nothing was open so had to deal with some venison burgers instead... Its a hard life! With us 3 from Swansea and Rob aboard we slipped the ropes around 7am and headed to the Yacht club to sign in before making our way out to the floatilla.

The klaxon sounded and we were soon at the head of the pack running up towards the English and Welsh grounds at a modest 30kts. Conditions were perfect, sat in a nice tidal eddy.

2nd cast poduced this little beauty:

A few missed bites came and went before the tide died away which mean't a move to some deeper water. Here Leigh picked up a reasonable thorny - He wasn't best pleased as he'd yet to catch a cod out of Cardiff.

Once the tide had turned, we ran over to the English side for a hour or so. We'd been feed some spicey venison washed down with a few cups of tea - with both Rob and Leigh being builders there was no chance of any of us getting dehydrated as there was always a hot drink on the go.

Rob had a plump 7lber which joined my 10lber in the fish box. As the tide picked back up we moved back to the orignal mark to finish the day off. It didn't take long before I had another codling of a couple of pound - which I returned and Leigh managed a dogfish and another thorny - Most unhappy!!

To be honest, we all fished really hard, all double patting making sure there was fresh baits in the water ever 15-20 mins. As the day grew on, things went a little quiet. We had some grub, and gave Steve and Leigh a bit of a ribbing as they'd not managed a cod etc etc... all in good jest.

Leigh responded by picking up a 10lb+ fish on one rod, and a 7lber on the other in the space of 3-4 mins - egg on my face as his fish was half a lb heavier than mine!! We had a flurry of bites, a few were hooked and lost but we didn't manage to land any more.

4:30pm saw us running back to catch the locks, scrubbing down the back while a the boats doing 30 kts is fine, as long as you don't poke your head around the side of the cab - as Leigh found out as he took a wave of dirty Cardiff water to the chops!

It was back to the yacht club for the weigh in and a few well deserved pints.

If I remember correctly Leigh ended up taking 13th place with his fish, and I took 15th with mine, Getting 2 fish in the prizes is a great testament to Rob's hard work to put us on the fish all day.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, we'd planned on taking a lot more - but basically we spent all day baiting up rigs and generally fishing as hard as we could - so hands were constantly covered in muck :yucky:

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
A rip roaring read Dean!! Thanks mate

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Well done getting A rip roaring read Dean!! Thanks mate

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Bloody phone! This site doesn't work too well on my mobile. I had typed: a rip roaring read Dean. Thank you! Well done for getting go the prizes

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Cracking report mate! Looks like a fun weekends fishing :) I think it could be an interesting season down Swansea this year with the amount of doubles showing in Cardiff... that's if we get the weather to get out..??

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
theres an echo here ian:crazy:
Great report dean as always thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.