World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been fishing plenty but not had a chance to put a report on here;
With the forum seemingly being taken over by people preaching about the morality of keeping fish, I thought I'd use my work break to knock up a report in an effort to get this section back to being related to "Catch reports and information for fishing in South and West Wales"; there is a few trips worth so I'll try to keep it brief!

21-01-2017
Really cold windy morning - Fished at Port Talbot to start, only dogs and small whiting. Wind started to push us over the anchor rope so moved to Sker where we found more tide but less fish!

As tide turned we headed over to a Sandbank SW of the SWIGG - A good move, even though is was a bit lumpy! Lots and Lots of whiting (2 or 3 whiting at at time most drops), few dabs, few pouting and a strap conger.

05-02-2017
Started the trip inshore - a large swell was running which stopped us heading straight out deep. Only Small whiting, congers and dogs here.
As HW approached we headed SW of the scarweather bank - here we had a few spurs and conger. One spur had a tag in it - unfortunately, shortly after releasing it a seal appeared on the surface eating a spur; so I'm doubtful that one will ever be caught again!!

As the ebb started we moved to a near by wreck, here we had a few more congers to 20lb or so. Seal followed us to the wreck and tried to steal a hooked dog fish, enteraining if nothing else!

We ended the day back inshore catching more whiting and dabs.

08-02-2017
Massive swell, we tried to get on an offshore wreck - no chance. Back in the bay, a few whiting, dabs, dogs and a codling (that took mackerel on a set of feathers - like most have this year!)

Moved onto an inshore wreck to finish the day, a few small conger and dogs.

In all, a pretty slow day; weather was lovely, swell was a pain!!

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
18-02-2017
We headed over to Lynmouth to fish a wreck, found plenty of congers on the last of the flood. Ebb fished well with good numbers of bull huss, congers and spurs. Tide got a little too strong so went inside where we had more huss, dogs and lots of good whiting. Headed back to the wreck for the last of the flood; the fresh whiting head and guts got the congers and spurs feeding very well!

19-02-17
Took a hammering getting down to oxwich, few dabs, small whiting and dogs. Lots of birds working on small bait fish being pushed up to the surface - nothing taking when we drifted through with feathers.

Came back up and fished in the bay. First mark nothing; next little bit of wreckage produced lots of little whiting, dabs, dogs and a thornback. A really horrible day, rained all day, sea was lumpy - fishing was poor!

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
That's going to be one skinney whiting
Don't like parasites
Gone all shivers ry
Great fishing mate

G

·
0 Posts
Great report and super pictures!
bull huss whiting and a good looking codling!!!
sounds like heaven:)

F

·
0 Posts
18-02-2017
We headed over to Lynmouth to fish a wreck, found plenty of congers on the last of the flood. Ebb fished well with good numbers of bull huss, congers and spurs. Tide got a little too strong so went inside where we had more huss, dogs and lots of good whiting. Headed back to the wreck for the last of the flood; the fresh whiting head and guts got the congers and spurs feeding very well!
well done mate, that awesome angling, loads of pics too, how much is it to fish?

19-02-17
Took a hammering getting down to oxwich, few dabs, small whiting and dogs. Lots of birds working on small bait fish being pushed up to the surface - nothing taking when we drifted through with feathers.

Came back up and fished in the bay. First mark nothing; next little bit of wreckage produced lots of little whiting, dabs, dogs and a thornback. A really horrible day, rained all day, sea was lumpy - fishing was poor!

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great reports Dean, been a while for me too!
Fingers crossed a spring run of codling will give us something worth posting about!
With that said, this weather system doesn't look like its easing off any time soon! At least we dont have to decide between watching the rugby or going fishing.

F

·
0 Posts
18-02-2017

19-02-17

Fingers crossed a spring run of codling will give us something worth posting about!
With that said, this weather system doesn't look like its easing off any time soon! At least we dont have to decide between watching the rugby or going fishing.
well said fellow angler

·
Team Loonz
8,189 Posts
Cracking report and pics.....:thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts