World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday's forecast was fantastic - as we're quickly approaching the clocks going back and the marina returning to weekday's last lock of 7:30pm I want to take the opportunity to do an evening trip. In short, the trip was a bit of a dud, we had lots of jumbo pout, whiting and dogs, but only 1 conger; normally we get a lot more eels on this mark after dark but the NE wind kept pushing us off the structure.

Saturday. The forecast was a lot more variable, we started the day with a few drifts for bass - we only found one small one. We headed east to some mixed ground, normally good for mixed fishing including lots of congers, thornbacks and bull huss. Unfortunately, all we had was a few dogs, one huss and one thornback.

Once the tide had begun to ebb, we headed further east to a wreck to try for a few eels. This proved a pretty good move as we had 20 or so eels to 26lb.

We got the anchor up around 4pm as we approached the half way mark on our journey home we noticed to the South-West of us was a large flock of bird actively feeding on the surface, those who have fished with me will contest to how much importance I attribute to bird activity while fishing; I've been known to follow gannets around Oxwich bay in order to find mackerel - they rarely let me down!!

I instructed the guys to get some feathers on while we made our way slowly to the feeding birds, over the next hour we had 40-50 bass - unfortunately all small (30-40cm) and a few mackerel, but good fun to end the day. I'm sure there were bigger fish there, but choosing which group of birds to target was a bit of a gamble.

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
Cra
Friday's forecast was fantastic - as we're quickly approaching the clocks going back and the marina returning to weekday's last lock of 7:30pm I want to take the opportunity to do an evening trip. In short, the trip was a bit of a dud, we had lots of jumbo pout, whiting and dogs, but only 1 conger; normally we get a lot more eels on this mark after dark but the NE wind kept pushing us off the structure.

Saturday. The forecast was a lot more variable, we started the day with a few drifts for bass - we only found one small one. We headed east to some mixed ground, normally good for mixed fishing including lots of congers, thornbacks and bull huss. Unfortunately, all we had was a few dogs, one huss and one thornback.

Once the tide had begun to ebb, we headed further east to a wreck to try for a few eels. This proved a pretty good move as we had 20 or so eels to 26lb.

We got the anchor up around 4pm as we approached the half way mark on our journey home we noticed to the South-West of us was a large flock of bird actively feeding on the surface, those who have fished with me will contest to how much importance I attribute to bird activity while fishing; I've been known to follow gannets around Oxwich bay in order to find mackerel - they rarely let me down!!

I instructed the guys to get some feathers on while we made our way slowly to the feeding birds, over the next hour we had 40-50 bass - unfortunately all small (30-40cm) and a few mackerel, but good fun to end the day. I'm sure there were bigger fish there, but choosing which group of birds to target was a bit of a gamble.

Cracking report and pics as always dean. Thanks for sharing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts