World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to poor weather and a lock closure for maintenance we haven't been out for a month or so.
With a reasonably favourable weather forecast falling on a tiny tide (very rare occurrence at the moment) I decided to target some of the offshore wrecks.

Long story short, it was pants!! We covered 50miles and had 1 spurdog - 19lb 8oz, 1 conger of about 3lb and a dozen or so dogs! We fished 3 wrecks, 2 that I'd done well on in the past & another I thought would produce based on the structure I'd marked up previously.

IMG_1948.JPG

Oh well, there's always next time!!

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
"You cant win em' all" Dean some days you just have to accept that they aint there :eeks: After a month of being "Confined to Barracks" you were itching to go, well so am I, & we will probably catch even less, but we will have better days soon, either that or we both get the sack ! :roflpuke:

Reactions: loadsa

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Very worrying as bassmaster said. I expected the snow melt from the last month to affect water temperature, salinity and possibly oxygen content upstream of the Nash, but didn't think there would be an effect further west or out deep. Do you know if the deep water temperature was colder than usual?
The lack of fish does seem to be confined to the Bristol channel, I spoke to a Weymouth charter skipper this week and the English Channel wrecks are fishing very well and inshore species are starting to appear on Chesil and the inshore banks.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you know if the deep water temperature was colder than usual?
Short answer, Yes the sea temp is down.

Swansea Bay and further east up the channel is 6-6.5' would be expecting 7-7.2' ish Mid channel (scarweather) is the same, you'd have expected that to be 7.5' ish.
As you head west out towards Milford Haven at the moment is 7.5 and further west again the surface temp is 8.4'.
Further South, Bideford bay is 7.95 and St Ives is 8.7 - the Scillies and mid-English channel are 9.25' ish.
Information from: http://wavenet.cefas.co.uk/Map

·
Registered
72 Posts
Very worrying as bassmaster said. I expected the snow melt from the last month to affect water temperature, salinity and possibly oxygen content upstream of the Nash, but didn't think there would be an effect further west or out deep. Do you know if the deep water temperature was colder than usual?
The lack of fish does seem to be confined to the Bristol channel, I spoke to a Weymouth charter skipper this week and the English Channel wrecks are fishing very well and inshore species are starting to appear on Chesil and the inshore banks.
Our club fished Weymouth a few weeks ago and had two great days Pollack fishing. Mike Davis

1 - 9 of 9 Posts