World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Oystercat 29-30/11/2016

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  dean_gifford 
#1 ·
As I'd taken a few days off work either side of the Cardiff Bay cod comp; so I wanted to try and cram as much fishing in as possible. I couldn't fish Monday as I had some other stuff to tie up but Tuesday and Wednesday were free!

Tuesday 29th:
As we only had a few people wanting to go, we opted for a more leisurely day; starting at 9am and fishing until 3pm ish. We started the day on a rock bank which has been fishing well for whiting recently. We had some new members on board Vicky and Dave (Daughter and Son in law of one of our skippers Richy)

Dave had never caught a fish which was quickly changed as he brought in a pair of dogfish.

He then proceeded to catch more than his fair share of fish, but we all had good numbers of whiting and a few mackerel amongst the dogs.
We moved to a sandbank more normally noted for whiting, but it's often good for dabs; here Dave caught his first Dab!

We had a few more dabs, whiting, poor cod, pouting and a weaver fish here.

Once the tide had started flooding strong enough to hold us in the right direction we made our way back to the rock bank we'd fished earlier; here we found really good numbers of whiting, some of good size so everyone had a few fish to take home.

We ended the day at 3:30pm having had 70-80 whiting, dabs, dogs, mackerel, weaver, pouting, poor cod and bull huss. On the way in we fuelled up ready for the Lundy trip the next day!

Wednesday 30th:
As the forecast was so good, I gave my crew 3 options:
1) Stay local
2) Go to Aberthaw chasing cod
3) Go to Lundy

The vote was split between Aberthaw and Lundy - as we'd be punching the tide to and back from Aberthaw and it didn't fish on Sunday's cod comp so Lundy was the option choose. We started the day at 6:30am, after getting the boat ready we had to break through the ice on the marinas surface to get to the locks.

The trip down was pretty uneventful, plenty of sea birds but no dolphins or porpoises were spotted until we got to the Stanley bank, here a pod of dolphins approached us and were playing around the boat while we drifted along the bank - I thought I was recording all this, but I only got 3s of footage! I'm really gutted about this as they were behaving differently to normal and gannets going in around the boat should have made a good video... oh well!

We didn't pick up any bait on the bank in the first 2 drifts, so we headed to the island and went in close as we always do to start, the water clarity wasn't great - and the first drift yielded nothing. I edged in closer still and we started picking up a few pollack, this continued for a few hours with the closer I got to the exposed rocks the better the fishing.

The first of the flood is always reserved for the massive reef at the end of the island; slack water is the only time you can fish it without losing all your gear every drift; unfortunately it was pretty slow in terms of numbers, but we had a few bigger fish here (3-5lb fish).

Once people started losing gear we headed to the south reef, normally productive but was very quiet, other than a small run where we had a few fish in quick succession, including a few ballen wrasse.

As we were losing daylight we made our way back up to a few marks that normally produce; these too were slow.

We ended the day back around the North side where we found good numbers of fish, again, the best fishing was very close to the rocks - with the bigger fish being as close as I'd dare take it.

We ended the day having had 50-60 pollack to 6lb, a few pretty ballan wrasse, a dozen or so mackerel and a lone Pouting. The weather was beautiful if not a bit chilly in the wind!! This was the latest we'd been to Lundy, was nice to see that the fish are still there this late in the year.

See less See more
#11 ·
As I'd taken a few days off work either side of the Cardiff Bay cod comp; so I wanted to try and cram as much fishing in as possible. I couldn't fish Monday as I had some other stuff to tie up but Tuesday and Wednesday were free!

Tuesday 29th:
As we only had a few people wanting to go, we opted for a more leisurely day; starting at 9am and fishing until 3pm ish. We started the day on a rock bank which has been fishing well for whiting recently. We had some new members on board Vicky and Dave (Daughter and Son in law of one of our skippers Richy)

Dave had never caught a fish which was quickly changed as he brought in a pair of dogfish.

He then proceeded to catch more than his fair share of fish, but we all had good numbers of whiting and a few mackerel amongst the dogs.
We moved to a sandbank more normally noted for whiting, but it's often good for dabs; here Dave caught his first Dab!

We had a few more dabs, whiting, poor cod, pouting and a weaver fish here.

Once the tide had started flooding strong enough to hold us in the right direction we made our way back to the rock bank we'd fished earlier; here we found really good numbers of whiting, some of good size so everyone had a few fish to take home.

We ended the day at 3:30pm having had 70-80 whiting, dabs, dogs, mackerel, weaver, pouting, poor cod and bull huss. On the way in we fuelled up ready for the Lundy trip the next day!

Wednesday 30th:
As the forecast was so good, I gave my crew 3 options:
1) Stay local
2) Go to Aberthaw chasing cod
3) Go to Lundy

The vote was split between Aberthaw and Lundy - as we'd be punching the tide to and back from Aberthaw and it didn't fish on Sunday's cod comp so Lundy was the option choose. We started the day at 6:30am, after getting the boat ready we had to break through the ice on the marinas surface to get to the locks.

The trip down was pretty uneventful, plenty of sea birds but no dolphins or porpoises were spotted until we got to the Stanley bank, here a pod of dolphins approached us and were playing around the boat while we drifted along the bank - I thought I was recording all this, but I only got 3s of footage! I'm really gutted about this as they were behaving differently to normal and gannets going in around the boat should have made a good video... oh well!

We didn't pick up any bait on the bank in the first 2 drifts, so we headed to the island and went in close as we always do to start, the water clarity wasn't great - and the first drift yielded nothing. I edged in closer still and we started picking up a few pollack, this continued for a few hours with the closer I got to the exposed rocks the better the fishing.

The first of the flood is always reserved for the massive reef at the end of the island; slack water is the only time you can fish it without losing all your gear every drift; unfortunately it was pretty slow in terms of numbers, but we had a few bigger fish here (3-5lb fish).

Once people started losing gear we headed to the south reef, normally productive but was very quiet, other than a small run where we had a few fish in quick succession, including a few ballen wrasse.

As we were losing daylight we made our way back up to a few marks that normally produce; these too were slow.

We ended the day back around the North side where we found good numbers of fish, again, the best fishing was very close to the rocks - with the bigger fish being as close as I'd dare take it.

We ended the day having had 50-60 pollack to 6lb, a few pretty ballan wrasse, a dozen or so mackerel and a lone Pouting. The weather was beautiful if not a bit chilly in the wind!! This was the latest we'd been to Lundy, was nice to see that the fish are still there this late in the year.

Great report and some cracking fishing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.