World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
31-12-2016
New years eve we decided to have a run over to the other side for a change. We left Swansea on the first lock, arriving in blue anchor bay at around 9am.

Bites came pretty quickly with a few small thornbacks, conger and whiting - but bites died off after a few hours, so we moved a few miles west. Here we joined a load of charters all anchored near enough in a line; we started with a few dog's but soon started to get a few reasonable blonde rays and some stonking whiting.

Unfortunately, we didn't find any of the big cod that have been caught there in recent weeks, the passage back was a little bumpy but otherwise a nice trip.

02-01-2017
A low numbers trip so we decided to stay local. The weather forecast was poor, but wind direction being from the North East meant it shouldn't cause too much trouble. We started the day close to mumbles head, here we had good numbers of Dabs along with plenty of pin whiting, dabs and dogs.

As the ebb built in strength, we started to drag anchor so we moved to some hard ground. Here we found plenty of whiting, mostly small but enough big ones to keep everyone who wanted fish to take home happy.

08-01-2017
With the good forecast and small tide we took the chance of heading offshore to target some bigger fish. The day started with me setting the wrong time on my alarm, resulting in me being woken by a phone call asking where I am - Not the best start...

We finally cleared the pier at 8am; first mark was a wreck that's been a little hit and miss recently. It can be pretty difficult to anchor this wreck as it runs East to West (same direction as the tide runs), so the target only 15m or so wide in 30+m of water. It doesn't happen often but I got the boat in the right spot first try.

Congers came on pretty quickly, over the next 5 hours we enjoyed pretty good sport with plenty of conger eels coming in, most between 17lb and 25lb, biggest going 32lb.

A conger looked like it was going to challenge for the pool but turn out it was a smaller eel bit onto its own tail.

We also had a reasonable number of spurs to 14lb and a few huss.

Once the tide changed we moved just off the scarweather bank; here we found lots of dogs, but a few spurs, huss and a lone conger amongst them.

A pretty good day in all, weather was fantastic for January! We were also treated to porpoises feeding at the back of the boat for a little while!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
great stuff well done its a shame going all the way over the other side without finding the cod a nice change though

·
Registered
14,232 Posts
As always Dean a really great report on some nice sessions :thumbsup: Wish you and your crews many more successful outings for 2017 :)

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
great stuff well done its a shame going all the way over the other side without finding the cod a nice change though
Yeah but in reality, you can't go anywhere in the Bristol channel west of Cardiff and expect cod every trip during the winter anymore so was happy just to find a few reasonable fish of any species. I was happy that we were in the right area as the boat just inside me (100 - 150m) had an 18lber the day before and had a 22lb earlier in the week, but you'll only catch them if they swim past and they're hungry.

With the size of the whiting there, it wouldn't take many of them to fill a fish up for a few hours!

I did have a moment where I hooked something on a very large mussel bait that did a very good impression of a big cod, staying deep straight down with plenty of head nods - but it was just a conger hooked awkwardly; Gutted!

As always Dean a really great report on some nice sessions :thumbsup: Wish you and your crews many more successful outings for 2017 :)
Thanks mate.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Brilliant days fishing there! Great stuff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts