World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've not been able to write a report for a couple of weeks - thats not to say I haven't been fishing - Sorry about it being such a long report and lacking pictures.

30-31/08/2015 Saw a couple of bass trips
30th

Did a massive loop of the gower, found only a couple of fish for the day. Ended the day finding a large group of bass on a fairly local mark... Typical.

31st
Day started collecting bait on local wrecks in the way of pouting and scad... live wells full we tried the local mark where I found the fish the evening before - expected fireworks; got nothing!! Ran west - landed on a party of bass feeding well, was really nice to have the bank to just Marlin (Grifish) and Ourselves.

We quickly ran out of scad. We spent the slack water period restocking on scad for the afternoon / evening. Also we nipped into Caswell bay to pick up one of our members who paddled out in his kayak, then ran out offshore.

Given the evening before's success we expected the scad we caught would have been very well received. The flotilla of boats steadily increased in numbers as the tide began to build in strength... long story short... we only managed a few fish in that mark. As the other boats began heading in we made the crazy decision to burn a little more fuel and head off to a different area... This worked in our favor as we found a reasonable shoal of fish feeding very heavily, the scad were working well but lures were king as the bass were slamming the live baits and occasionally ripping it off the hook or causing the hook to turn and go under the gill plate.

04-09/09/2015
I spent the week down in Alderney aboard Rob Rennies new Offshore 25, we fished the banks around the Islands as well as the wrecks on the passage over and back. On the 8th we had a day fishing out of Weymouth which was interesting, we spent a little bit of time fishing for bream on the drift; I've caught bream on the drift but never targeted them in this way... its definitely something I'll be doing more of in future.

Weekend of the 12-13th was spent putting together all the Ikea furniture my Mrs ordered - thank god the weather was poor, she probably would have killed me if I fished that weekend too.

Weekend of 19-20/09/2015
19th

Great weather - ok tide saw this marked up as a bassing trip, we boarded @ 6:30am, got out on the first lock armed with 3lb of eel from Swansea Tackle and bait. Headed out to the first mark, very dirty water and the few drifts we did yielded nothing.

Headed another few miles south west, first bank, nothing - 2nd bank - 1 bass boated another lost, then nothing. By this time we'd lost our drift speed so we bobbed about, had some grub and fed the dogfish live eels.

The tide picked up and saw us picking up a few fish, but nothing really to write home about, we ran back inshore - had a little look on a few other banks but nothing again...

Slack water approached so we headed into oxwich bay to stock up on bait - both live bait for the evening and some mackerel for my trip the following day as well as some to supplement the dozen or so bass we had in the well for people to take home. Thankfully these were far easier to find than the bass earlier in the day, soon our bait wells were restocked.

I got a little stick of a few members as I cut the bait collection short stressing we'd need more scad - I assured them we had enough for the evening; given the days success so far I didn't really expect to find too many more feeding fish; I chalked it down to the iffy water clarity and dropping tides.

We dropped the anchor on the knoll to wait for the tide to gain in strength, this also gave us chance cook up the last of the grub and have a brew. Plenty of dabs and gurnard kept the rods rattling away for the hr or so we had there.

We ran back out offshore joining a couple of boats that had stuck it out over slack water; they quickly shot off back towards Swansea, we had a few fish here, there were bass on the bank but I suspect they were small as we had lots of hits but we weren't able to turn these hits into fish on deck.

By now it was 6:30pm - been out for nearly 12hrs so tired and fairly despondent I thought we'd give one last mark a go before heading back in... As often happens, we arrived and first drift saw 4 fish on deck and the other 2 baits being lost to savage hits.

The next hr saw us frantically trying to get back up on the drift; while sorting out the fish on deck and trying to get the last of the scad out of the live well; and yes the guys were right to question if we had enough as we ran out; thankfully the fish were very keen and lures were taking fish fairly well. As we lost the light after the umpteenth 'Last Drift' we finally got back to the marina about 8:15pm - after sorting the fish and cleaning down we finally left the boat at 9:15pm.

20th
Only 4 of us onboard for this one; I'd marked it as a conger trip and a bit of reefing in the afternoon.

Again boarded at 6:30am, unfortunately the weather wasn't to be as kind as the day before. I offered the option of hitting the bass mark again for a hr or 2 as the state of tide was near enough the same, but the guys were keen on heading out to the wreck so we decided to stick with the original plan.

We had a reasonable amount of mackerel from the day before along with frozen mackerel and squid, but you cant beat fresh mackerel so plan was to have a little jig for some more bait on the way out. A little motor round didnt show much on the sounder so I headed for a area that can be productive - as luck would have it, drifting over the mark saw stings of bass coming up on the feathers... Typical, the day before we'd covered 60miles+ to get a few bass; We went out for a few mackerel and found loads of bass 20mins from the pier heads!!

We arrive at the wreck, 2nd time of trying we dropped into the right area; within 15mins we had our first eel onboard, only a strap of 8lb or so; I soon after hooked a sea monster but after 5mins my braid failed and all was lost.

That was the end of the congering strangely, we didnt seem to get any more interest until we swang off the wreck and began finding double figure huss - these were the worst behaved I've encounter for a while; normally I can handle them fairly well and get them to settle down quickly but all these wanted to do was bite your face or forearm!!

Other than a few whiting, dogs and little tope we didn't find anything worth staying out wide in the increasingly sloppy sea (Wind over tide) so we ran into oxwich - again to replenish our bait stocks for the afternoon.

Scad were plentyful but we wanted mackerel which proved harder to find, but after watching a couple of gannets for a little I managed to put us over a shoal that saw the bait bucket filled quickly.

We had a few drifts over the wreck, but only had a few pout and poor cod, the wind and tide mean't anchoring it was not an option. We moved outside the moorings and anchored for a few hours. Here we had a few gurnard, dogs and a nice 11lb Thornback.

We called it a day around 4pm - not the best days fishing we've experienced but nice to be out and back in at a reasonable time!

I'm hoping to get some better pictures of the Thornback - Again sorry for the very long report.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pleasure fishing with you gents!
Cheers for coming along. Sorry it took so long to find you a bass, but it all came good in the end.

Sunday morning we didn't plan on bassing - even though we still had live eel and mackerel in the well, as luck would have it we landed on a pretty big shoal of bass while searching for mackerel just a few miles from the piers. Thats fishing I guess!!

Hope to see you again soon.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I've not been able to write a report for a couple of weeks - thats not to say I haven't been fishing - Sorry about it being such a long report and lacking pictures.

30-31/08/2015 Saw a couple of bass trips
30th

Did a massive loop of the gower, found only a couple of fish for the day. Ended the day finding a large group of bass on a fairly local mark... Typical.

31st
Day started collecting bait on local wrecks in the way of pouting and scad... live wells full we tried the local mark where I found the fish the evening before - expected fireworks; got nothing!! Ran west - landed on a party of bass feeding well, was really nice to have the bank to just Marlin (Grifish) and Ourselves.

We quickly ran out of scad. We spent the slack water period restocking on scad for the afternoon / evening. Also we nipped into Caswell bay to pick up one of our members who paddled out in his kayak, then ran out offshore.

Given the evening before's success we expected the scad we caught would have been very well received. The flotilla of boats steadily increased in numbers as the tide began to build in strength... long story short... we only managed a few fish in that mark. As the other boats began heading in we made the crazy decision to burn a little more fuel and head off to a different area... This worked in our favor as we found a reasonable shoal of fish feeding very heavily, the scad were working well but lures were king as the bass were slamming the live baits and occasionally ripping it off the hook or causing the hook to turn and go under the gill plate.

04-09/09/2015
I spent the week down in Alderney aboard Rob Rennies new Offshore 25, we fished the banks around the Islands as well as the wrecks on the passage over and back. On the 8th we had a day fishing out of Weymouth which was interesting, we spent a little bit of time fishing for bream on the drift; I've caught bream on the drift but never targeted them in this way... its definitely something I'll be doing more of in future.

Weekend of the 12-13th was spent putting together all the Ikea furniture my Mrs ordered - thank god the weather was poor, she probably would have killed me if I fished that weekend too.

Weekend of 19-20/09/2015
19th

Great weather - ok tide saw this marked up as a bassing trip, we boarded @ 6:30am, got out on the first lock armed with 3lb of eel from Swansea Tackle and bait. Headed out to the first mark, very dirty water and the few drifts we did yielded nothing.

Headed another few miles south west, first bank, nothing - 2nd bank - 1 bass boated another lost, then nothing. By this time we'd lost our drift speed so we bobbed about, had some grub and fed the dogfish live eels.

The tide picked up and saw us picking up a few fish, but nothing really to write home about, we ran back inshore - had a little look on a few other banks but nothing again...

Slack water approached so we headed into oxwich bay to stock up on bait - both live bait for the evening and some mackerel for my trip the following day as well as some to supplement the dozen or so bass we had in the well for people to take home. Thankfully these were far easier to find than the bass earlier in the day, soon our bait wells were restocked.

I got a little stick of a few members as I cut the bait collection short stressing we'd need more scad - I assured them we had enough for the evening; given the days success so far I didn't really expect to find too many more feeding fish; I chalked it down to the iffy water clarity and dropping tides.

We dropped the anchor on the knoll to wait for the tide to gain in strength, this also gave us chance cook up the last of the grub and have a brew. Plenty of dabs and gurnard kept the rods rattling away for the hr or so we had there.

We ran back out offshore joining a couple of boats that had stuck it out over slack water; they quickly shot off back towards Swansea, we had a few fish here, there were bass on the bank but I suspect they were small as we had lots of hits but we weren't able to turn these hits into fish on deck.

By now it was 6:30pm - been out for nearly 12hrs so tired and fairly despondent I thought we'd give one last mark a go before heading back in... As often happens, we arrived and first drift saw 4 fish on deck and the other 2 baits being lost to savage hits.

The next hr saw us frantically trying to get back up on the drift; while sorting out the fish on deck and trying to get the last of the scad out of the live well; and yes the guys were right to question if we had enough as we ran out; thankfully the fish were very keen and lures were taking fish fairly well. As we lost the light after the umpteenth 'Last Drift' we finally got back to the marina about 8:15pm - after sorting the fish and cleaning down we finally left the boat at 9:15pm.

20th
Only 4 of us onboard for this one; I'd marked it as a conger trip and a bit of reefing in the afternoon.

Again boarded at 6:30am, unfortunately the weather wasn't to be as kind as the day before. I offered the option of hitting the bass mark again for a hr or 2 as the state of tide was near enough the same, but the guys were keen on heading out to the wreck so we decided to stick with the original plan.

We had a reasonable amount of mackerel from the day before along with frozen mackerel and squid, but you cant beat fresh mackerel so plan was to have a little jig for some more bait on the way out. A little motor round didnt show much on the sounder so I headed for a area that can be productive - as luck would have it, drifting over the mark saw stings of bass coming up on the feathers... Typical, the day before we'd covered 60miles+ to get a few bass; We went out for a few mackerel and found loads of bass 20mins from the pier heads!!

We arrive at the wreck, 2nd time of trying we dropped into the right area; within 15mins we had our first eel onboard, only a strap of 8lb or so; I soon after hooked a sea monster but after 5mins my braid failed and all was lost.

That was the end of the congering strangely, we didnt seem to get any more interest until we swang off the wreck and began finding double figure huss - these were the worst behaved I've encounter for a while; normally I can handle them fairly well and get them to settle down quickly but all these wanted to do was bite your face or forearm!!

Other than a few whiting, dogs and little tope we didn't find anything worth staying out wide in the increasingly sloppy sea (Wind over tide) so we ran into oxwich - again to replenish our bait stocks for the afternoon.

Scad were plentyful but we wanted mackerel which proved harder to find, but after watching a couple of gannets for a little I managed to put us over a shoal that saw the bait bucket filled quickly.

We had a few drifts over the wreck, but only had a few pout and poor cod, the wind and tide mean't anchoring it was not an option. We moved outside the moorings and anchored for a few hours. Here we had a few gurnard, dogs and a nice 11lb Thornback.

We called it a day around 4pm - not the best days fishing we've experienced but nice to be out and back in at a reasonable time!

I'm hoping to get some better pictures of the Thornback - Again sorry for the very long report.

Great report and read as usual Dean Top Man.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Cheers for coming along. Sorry it took so long to find you a bass, but it all came good in the end.

Sunday morning we didn't plan on bassing - even though we still had live eel and mackerel in the well, as luck would have it we landed on a pretty big shoal of bass while searching for mackerel just a few miles from the piers. Thats fishing I guess!!

Hope to see you again soon.
I had a great day - been hard to get out this year. I was getting bit but nothing was sticking. I switched from 2/0 Sakuma's to sz 1 Gamakatsu and hooked 3 in 3 drifts! Lets do it again soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts