World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have decided this summer to practice my pendulum in anticiption of the winter season.
So I went out today for an hour or so but in the end had to come off the beach due to pain in both my elbow joints.
Recently I have been doing a bit more demanding manual work at work and have felt something simlar after some of the day's graft, but not as severe as this.
Does anyone have any idea what muscle group this is and what kind of excersises might help me build some strengh in this region?
Cheers.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
See a doc mate - I dont really think there are muscles in your elbow joints just ligaments n stuff

·
Registered
95 Posts
hi Geoff, If the pain is in the elbow, it could be tennis elbow or golfers elbow. With tennis elbow you have pain & tenderness on the outside of the elbow. Golfers elbow the pain & tenderness is on the inside of the elbow. It is inflammation of the muscles, tendons & ligaments. If it is very painful see your doctor for anti inflammatory tablets. If it's not so bad Asprin or Ibuprofen will help with the pain & inflammation. Rest the elbow as much as possible. Have a talk to your doctor he will advise you better. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Hi everyone,
I have decided this summer to practice my pendulum in anticiption of the winter season.
So I went out today for an hour or so but in the end had to come off the beach due to pain in both my elbow joints.
Recently I have been doing a bit more demanding manual work at work and have felt something simlar after some of the day's graft, but not as severe as this.
Does anyone have any idea what muscle group this is and what kind of excersises might help me build some strengh in this region?
Cheers.
Geoff, Looks like you may be suffering from good old fashioned "Tennis Elbow" The large forearm mustle that connect by a tendon to the elbow becomes inflamed because of overuse.
Be carefull rest it well and ice the sore area . Take some Paracetomol or Iboprofen. If it does not settle down see your doc. He may perscribe more powerfull ant-inflamitories.
Not to worry you but just a warning. Rest it or you could make it a lot worse. I didn't and several years down the road and several cortisone injections. I still have it. Some days it's okay. Some days it hurts like hell.

Do a search for tennis elbow you will come up with a description of the problem and the muscles and tendons that you may have damaged.
PM me and I'll point you to some excercises on a website that will help once you have it settled down.
Dave.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I occasionally get pain in both elbows and sometimes in a knee after a lot of casting practice. I work as a tree climber and I think the casting just aggravates the slight injury/strain already in the joint from manual/physical work.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help everyone. I was hoping it would just be muscles that I don't normally use or something. Now a few hours later it is fine. Infact I was going to have another go tomorrow. Not so sure now. :g:
The fact it has gone now makes me think I might have overplayed it. I may give it a go tomorrow and see how it feels.
Again, thanks for taking the time everyone. :clap3:

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your right, I was just thinking I'm too young for that, then I realised I am 26 now, not a bairn. I'll give it a gentle go tomorrow, and if it feels the same I'll stop. I don't want to sit on my behind for few weeks just because I've been a hypochondriac (spelling?).

Cheers for your concern SurenuffandyesIdo, I've been looking at that site and I'll do the excersizes either way. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Hi Those exercises do work. They definitely help with my elbow problem. I wish though I had found out about them sooner though.
The secret to them is moving the tendon coming out of the muscle inside the sheath that it runs in through in as wide a movement as possible. Which is what those exercizes are designed to make it do. You are in affect smoothing out the inflammed slightly ruptured area. You can get the thermabands mentioned cheaply off Ebay. Try an exercize band search. The Green band is a good starting strain to go for.

I was 50 when I did my one in flycasting one very cold evening on the River Tay salmon fishing. It started as just a dull ache as I drove home. I just ignored it and it got worse and worse. Next thing for me to try and sort it may be what they call a tendon release operation. Which means opening up the sheath to let the tendon move more freely. What fun!
Strangely enough it doesnt hurt while I am casting. It's later I feel it. Using the computer mouse at times really agrivates it.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Try ibrupophen gel, hot and cold compresses
get a tennis elbow splint and cut down on practice.
this is a problem i have had a combination of cricket( throwing)
and casting large lures for pike.
the elbow supports work a treat. they fit just below the elbow.
also it may be worth getting your casting action checked.
less effort and more timing may be thbe answer?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update and hopefully may be of use to others.
I carried on and got the same pain after every session, but ignored it as I thought I had the pendulum cracked. I was pacing casts 160+.
I went to see a local Sea Angler casting instructor today, Tommy Kitson, who on watching my cast found several parts of it to be wrong. He took me right back to the high inertia and south african. The time flew by and before I knew it 3 1/2 hours had gone by and I was casting 180 with the high inertia.
After casting all day my arms felt fine and I could have carried on for hours, which means there must have been something very wrong with my casting style before even though I thought I was doing really well with my "pendulum".
If I had just carried on regardless, not only would I have wasted a lot of time practising bad habits but I may have hurt myself. So I've learnt a whole new style that is much safer on crowded fishing marks and am casting further than my painful version of the pendulum, all for a pathetic price, a hundred times less than my casting books, videos, dvds, cd-roms and hernia poles cost.
I'd advise anyone to go and see a casting instructor, especialy if your local one is Tommy Kitson, who is nothing but encouraging (I was very worried about casting in front of someone). I now believe that the only short cut to distance is with someone who knows what he is talking about watching you. I'll be practicing my high inertia for a while now and hopefully seeing Tommy for another crack (not crack off) at the pendulum.
Waffle over :clap2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts