World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi can i use hammerite smooth to paint the inside of my cabin as i have a couple of tins spare ? will it effect the fibre glass as it unpaited at the moment. cheers andy

T

·
0 Posts
Andy,
Don't use hammerite.

Get yourself some really cheap light coloured carpet and a can of aerosole carpet adhesive.

Fit that and it will sound proof, reduce vibration, reduce condensation and make the boat feel much warmer.

Tom

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Andy,
Don't use hammerite.

Get yourself some really cheap light coloured carpet and a can of aerosole carpet adhesive.

Fit that and it will sound proof, reduce vibration, reduce condensation and make the boat feel much warmer.

Tom
...and get damp and go black with mildew. I agree with Tom, lining is better than painting but in my experience it would be better to use something that wipes down, I ripped out my fabric lining and fitted foam-backen vinyl.

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi many thanks for the answers but is the paint ok to use just to spruce it up to start with cheers andy

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Yes but Andy is asking if it will damage his fibreglass if he uses Hammerite on the cabin walls.
My guess is no it won't harm it, as if I recall correctly it actually contains particles of fibreglass suspended in the paint. Dunno what the solvent is though as they claim it's neither white spirit or cellulose thinner .... might be just a con to get you to buy their brush cleaner/thinner though
Mike

T

·
0 Posts
Then it looks like you have your kitchen floor on the ceiling rather than just the lounge.....:blink:
It shouldn't go mildewy if you maintain a bit of ventilation and lift the cushions etc when not in use.

Sorry Andy, don't know about hammerite, personally it sounds like it will make it look horrible....?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Yes andy, it will be ok :)

AL ..

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Hammerite has its own special solvent but the paint itself is not likely to react with the grp.

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Then it looks like you have your kitchen floor on the ceiling rather than just the lounge.....:blink:
It all went wrong a few years ago when my petrol engine blew up, the idiots that tried to fix it left the boat in the yard with the transom bung in and battery disconnected so the bilge filled with water, the cabin was damp and turned black. Once mildew is in light grey fabric you have only one option, rip it out!

·
Registered
2,399 Posts

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Yes but Andy is asking if it will damage his fibreglass if he uses Hammerite on the cabin walls.
My guess is no it won't harm it, as if I recall correctly it actually contains particles of fibreglass suspended in the paint. Dunno what the solvent is though as they claim it's neither white spirit or cellulose thinner .... might be just a con to get you to buy their brush cleaner/thinner though
Mike
Hi The solvent is similar to cellulose thinners. So if used on polyester it could soften it. Cellulose certainly melts polyester rod banks when I have tried to spray them different colours. Epoxy is okay though and not affected.
Dave.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Hi The solvent is similar to cellulose thinners. So if used on polyester it could soften it. Cellulose certainly melts polyester rod banks when I have tried to spray them different colours. Epoxy is okay though and not affected.
Dave.
My apologies, i didn't realise some boats were made from polyester.
Cellulose paint/thinner will definately damage polyester, some crash helmets are made from a polyester and if painted with cellulose they are then scrap :)
Check it's epoxy before painting then :)

AL ..

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Don't bother using hammerite on GRP anyway. When it cures it's so hard that it'll crack and craze really badly with normal flex from the GRP.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Addressing the cabin and head lining problem shortly on 'Solent Warrior'. Trouble with foam backed vinyl, the foam breaks down in time, the vinyl comes away and looks floppy, the mess the crumbling foam leaves!!!! Some head linings done, the walls need attention, although they dont look as bad, (but they are!) See carpet as a good option? The spray adhesive is great.

ET's OPO

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hi i have just undercoated the inside upper part above the waterline in the cabin with waterbased satin so it has no solvents in it so i think i will by the proper paint cheers andy

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
What's the stuff Warrior use to spray the insides of their shells - looks like pretty anti vandal paint

1 - 18 of 18 Posts