World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a set of Minimas, they have stainless linings and black frames, I wonder if anybody has any idea of how to remove the black laquer from the frames ?
I have tried Wickes paint remover and Caustic soda but neither will touch the stuff.

Before anybody says dont be a tight git and buy a set of new ones I have had these for ages, the black laquer is a bit chipped, but otherwise they are really nice rings with no dinks or bends, have been fitted to a rod and the rod has been rebuilt, so I am thinking of trying to give em a clean up.

Cheers.

Dave

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Hi Dave,

i've done it once with a set of black Fuji alconite's : i first tried a few chemicals that didn't work, so started to scratch the old coating with small Stanley knifes and scalpels, and then polished the frames with fine steel wool and polish paste. The result was quite nice : just like stainless steel alconite's, but it was a lot of work ... not sure i will do it again;)

Gert

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Get a tin of Humbrol black enamel paint and a small brush from a model shop and touch up the paint chips. Much less work

·
Registered
15,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions

Hi Gert, sounds painfully slow and fiddly....... but I am sure given time and patience they would clean up ...some of the eyes are quite small so would need micro fingers ! :confused:

Colina, been there and done that with Fujis BNHG"s not impressed with results, they just chip again and look scratty after a few trips...:confused: I have even touched up with a black chisel point permanent marker in the past, in fact the marker is better than the paint option..but not what I wanted...
Thats why I wanted to remove the enamel back to steel.... Stainless steel doesnt chip . I am suprised that rod ring makers ever started to coat the rings in the first place.

The best rings I have seen for retaining their colour are the Seymo range, I have a rod I built about 15 years ago with Stainless Framed Seymos and the frames have faded a bit , but no chipping, they look as though they are dyed as opposed to painted.

Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts