World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone recommend a good paint stripper suitable for grp.tried all the local motor factors.diy etc. they all sell nitromors,polycell and own brand but its just wood&metal with a warning not to use on grp. i dont want to dissolve the hull. fed up of trying to sand out 6 coats of paint before priming as new paint arrives tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I have used Dilunet, it is the only product I use on grp. Takes a while to work though, 5-8 days depending on temperature. It will dissolve everything including you and the brushes you use so please read the can and follow the precautions recomended. They are not recomendations but essentials with this stuff. Once softened srape off and wash down with water. Make sure there is no chance of getting it on new paint as it will lift it right off.

The other product I know of is Interstrip from International but I havn't used it. You need to wash down with acetone with this one which is why I havn't used it, fire hazard with all that acetone vapor and me liking a fag while I am working.

S

·
0 Posts
hi gareth
i to had a go with dilunet didnt have much joy as chris said,are you using a good orbital sander with a rough grit,
the bloke who gave me advice is a full time painter and advised me not to bother with stripper just good old elbow grease im afraid :(
its all worth it in the end i think :)

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
The instructions on the can are not the best Dave, did you treat it like nitromoors and try stripping it after a couple of hours? I have found it is best left for about 5 days this time of year, if you want to extend the life of it you can daub it on the hull and cover with cheap clingfilm, this means you can peel a bit of the film back and try scraping, if it comes off with one scrape it is ready to be stripped if not cover with the film again. This way you can pick your time to strip the softened pain as the solvent in the dilunet does not evapourate through the clingfilm. It will come off with a pressure wash if you have all over protection for yourself including an air supply but not recomended unless you have the right protective gear. It is good stuff but you have to be patient with it.

S

·
0 Posts
didnt know that mate , your right about them instructions i opted for the elbow grease in the end ended up lookin like a ghost every evening :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts