World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, looking to paint an 11.5 ft boat fiberglass.

Marine paint is very expensive can anyone advise on a good paint that will not cost a small fortune and were to buy it. Cheers

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi, looking to paint an 11.5 ft boat fiberglass.

Marine paint is very expensive can anyone advise on a good paint that will not cost a small fortune and were to buy it. Cheers
Honestly?

Dont skimp. buy the proper paint and you will save a fortune in the short and long term as there is nothing else that will survive the harsh elements that paint on boats has to deal with.

Also painting your boat in anything not designed for marine use will devalue your boat and make it harder to sell on.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, hand painted several times and a very poor job at that. Sanding the paint right back. Thinking of rolling the paint on or i can get access to a good spray gun.

I heard that there is paint around that is as good as the marine paint but cheaper.

I may have to just fork out for the marine paint as i'm better doing it right with the work i will be putting in on the boat.

Any advice on the brand of paint i should get and do i put primmer on first?

Cheers

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Hi,

I was really wondering if there was a reason for painting her in the first place?

If you're going to the trouble of gently sanding her back in the first place then at least you will get a good idea on the condition of her gel-coat. Restoring the gel-coat will enhance her looks and value. Sort the gel-coat and your looking at running a polisher over her once a year ;)

However, if your going for the quick fix then International or Jotun might be worth a look.

http://www.international-marine.com/Pages/MarineHome.aspx
http://www.jotun.com/

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
11,462 Posts
I heard that there is paint around that is as good as the marine paint but cheaper.
You're probably thinking of Japlac and Toplac - there has been some debate on here that they were the same stuff but one cheaper - but it was eventually confirmed by someone who went for the cheaper option then had to redo it all with the marine stuff - sorry I've never used either and I've now forgotten which way round they were.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hi hob
Just completed full restoration to my boat used this co
Found them very helpfull with advice prices etc.
email [email protected] phone 01209 821028
Cheers

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have plenty to go on. Many thanks for info

·
Registered
390 Posts
I can summarise the International debate for you!

It was claimed international Toplac and Japlac were the same product, with Toplac being the expensive marine option- they are not the same-FACT!

I however did use Japlac on my boat, 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of gloss, using a 6" sponge roller, and over a year later it still looks as good as when it was done, good deep shine and good abrasion resistance.

BUT, my boat does not stay in the water, it goes in for two or three days at a time, every 5 weeks or so between March and September and spends the rest of the year indoors in the garage.
Also, if you do use Japlac, keep the boat indoors and heated for 24 hours to ensure full drying and a hard shell finish, otherwise it takes a good long while to fully cure!

It's half the price of Toplac, but probably half the quality as well. Done properly like above it seems to last fine, but time will tell I suppose!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts