World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using any of the panoptics transducers ? I must admit I wasn't to interested given the high price and mainly shallow water performance but getting one tomorrow at a price hard to knock back (£250) so thought it worth giving a try. This is the ps30 model, so basicly live view or 3D for beneath the boat.

·
Registered
10,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Over 100 looks and no reply!! I take it nobody has one then!!

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Everyone has gone Jon, all been driven away by the over zealous moderation of Philips.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Anyone using any of the panoptics transducers ? I must admit I wasn't to interested given the high price and mainly shallow water performance but getting one tomorrow at a price hard to knock back (£250) so thought it worth giving a try. This is the ps30 model, so basicly live view or 3D for beneath the boat.
I had a play with one when fishing in the azores. I think its more suited to still days or still water in comparison to on the sea. Tied up in the marina it looked great, was almost as clear as the demo version and could pickup crabs crawling by.
At sea, it was like trying to tune a tube tv in an area with no reception.

·
Registered
10,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a play with one when fishing in the azores. I think its more suited to still days or still water in comparison to on the sea. Tied up in the marina it looked great, was almost as clear as the demo version and could pickup crabs crawling by.
At sea, it was like trying to tune a tube tv in an area with no reception.

That might be why it was so cheap!!!!!..in saying that I did see some guys using it in rough conditions picking up bluefin.

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Yes ............ I use the livescope GLS 10 with the LVS32 transducer, and a GT52 Transducer............both then feed 2 x Echomap 95SV plus displays via a Garmin GMS10 port expander, so all the data is shared between the displays.

With Panoptix you are limited to about 200 feet, which is fine for us in the Eglish channel as the Max depth is rarely more than 250ft ..............

I tend to use it in forward scanning mode, more than downscan mode (you need to rotate the transducer for downscan).

We tend to fish at depths of about 150ft and it works very well .............. bigger fish obviously show better and when we have been over BFT's and Dolphins the display showing them swimming around is outstanding. When on the wrecks, we can see the Pollock and pout ok, but sometimes we also see the odd shark patrolling the wreck at midwater.

Remember to set and calibrate the inbuilt compass ...............also the standard auto gain setting is way too high and you will need to manually set it for different depths, but it is on the top of touch screen and easy to do ............

The only downside is that it is a big lump on the transom and creates a fair bit of drag. You need to bolt it up quite tight to stop it rotating at speed. Also, you may need the diffuser to stop the rooster trail cause by water pushing up between the transom and the front of the transducer at speed ................at 35knt we used to get a rooster trail as high as the A frame ! ..................

·
Registered
252 Posts
When you get out can you post some of those great screenshots please @JonD

I've seen the promo vids of the livescope stuff, and have to admit that being able to recognise the Tarpon was pretty cool

Reactions: Norm B and JonD

·
Registered
10,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes ............ I use the livescope GLS 10 with the LVS32 transducer, and a GT52 Transducer............both then feed 2 x Echomap 95SV plus displays via a Garmin GMS10 port expander, so all the data is shared between the displays.

With Panoptix you are limited to about 200 feet, which is fine for us in the Eglish channel as the Max depth is rarely more than 250ft ..............

I tend to use it in forward scanning mode, more than downscan mode (you need to rotate the transducer for downscan).

We tend to fish at depths of about 150ft and it works very well .............. bigger fish obviously show better and when we have been over BFT's and Dolphins the display showing them swimming around is outstanding. When on the wrecks, we can see the Pollock and pout ok, but sometimes we also see the odd shark patrolling the wreck at midwater.

Remember to set and calibrate the inbuilt compass ...............also the standard auto gain setting is way too high and you will need to manually set it for different depths, but it is on the top of touch screen and easy to do ............

The only downside is that it is a big lump on the transom and creates a fair bit of drag. You need to bolt it up quite tight to stop it rotating at speed. Also, you may need the diffuser to stop the rooster trail cause by water pushing up between the transom and the front of the transducer at speed ................at 35knt we used to get a rooster trail as high as the A frame ! ..................

Are you seeing your jigs in 150ft ? I have a gt51 which I found needs to be very precise in transom setup to get good results. Also getting the most out of the sidescan takes a fair amount of manual adjustment, mostly tweaking contrast, brightness and range.

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Are you seeing your jigs in 150ft ? I have a gt51 which I found needs to be very precise in transom setup to get good results. Also getting the most out of the sidescan takes a fair amount of manual adjustment, mostly tweaking contrast, brightness and range.
With the GT52, I can see slow jigs at 100 - 150ft OK ............... the jigs are 150g - 250g .......................

1 - 9 of 9 Posts