World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever used a Parachute Anchor to hold their boat into to wind and waves? I operate around the Channel and would love to hear of people that have used these. Would it be of use?

·
Registered
210 Posts
A drogue is a very effective means of keeping the drift at the same speed as the tide and minimising the effect of windage. Very useful when fly fishing or using weightless soft plastics etc. It can also be used to adjust the angle and direction of drift.

You need the largest drogue you can find for the best results with movable fixing points. The sea anchors sold for emergency use are too small to do anything other than keep your head to sea and slow the drift slightly. The drogues available for trout fishing are fine but you may have to change some of the hardware for use in the salt.

I know a number of people using them to great effect in the channel.

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
I fished from a boat in the Med with a full para anchor, there was no tide and the boat stayed right on the mark. That wouldn't work for our tides, you would either anchor or drift so a para anchor would be pointless. I have never found the need for a drogue when sea fishing on my boat, I do use one for trout fishing with a light rowing boat though.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I think the OP's point was, if the wind is turning the boat beam into the waves, could he rig a sea anchor or drogue to pull the bow into the waves, at anchor, for less rock and roll. Unless i'm reading it wrong.

I can't see why not, but haven't tried it, although i do have a drogue, just not got around to using it.
I hope you never need it,regards Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I was interested in using it to avoid running the engine all the time. And giving a more comfortable motion. Not just if caught out in bad weather. There is a specific fishermans para anchor which is 6ft across. It gives very good holding thus keeping you on the same column of water. But before spending a couple of hundred quid, I wondered what people thought.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Because my boat has quite a large windage area it is prone to being blown across the tide (unless its running hard) the drogue does help, but I would advise "the bigger the better" mine is barely big enough for the job, & as the tide slackens the wind does win out! I intend to get as big a one as is practical very soon, there is nothing worse than being sat across the tide, with the wind on your beam, when you know that for an extra £20 you could be sitting & fishing much more comfortably. In fact this has been a good reminder I will go on e-bay now! :yeah:

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
A full para anchor is huge, not to be confused with a drift drogue used by trout anglers and the much heavier duty sea anchor sold for yachts. Seems folk are mixing these up on this thread.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I also have one for use when boat-fishing for trout. Have used it on my 5m RIB and it steadies the boat perfectly with it's head into the wind and waves. A lot more stable if things are a bit choppy.

Take an old shower curtain (material, not plastic) and punch four of the large plastic eyelets (for repairing tents) into the four corners. Parachute cord to the corners and sew together about 4-5' away. Add a 12' - 15' length of cord with a loop or fixing clip at the end to attach to the boat or painter. As an extra to ease retrieval I added an extra white cord (to one corner only) and extended it back to the fixing clip, running though some plastic guide rings fixed on the main cord. Pull on the white cord and the whole drogue/parachute collapses in a second for easy retrieval.

Add a 2-4oz weight where the four cords join to help the thing to sink under the surface. Cut a hole about 6" wide in the centre of the drogue. Once open it stays open and very stable.

Luvvly Jubbly.

Hope this helps.

Arthur

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
A full para anchor is huge, not to be confused with a drift drogue used by trout anglers and the much heavier duty sea anchor sold for yachts. Seems folk are mixing these up on this thread.
It can be confusing, I use mine when my anchor is down & I am being blown across the tide putting me beam on. I deploy & secure mine from the stern & I use it to bring the stern of the boat around so that I am "bow on" into the tide. The only caution I would give, is that the added drag of the drogue COULD trip or drag your anchor, with the extra drag from the stern mounted drogue, so make sure you watch out for dragging your anchor:thumbs:

·
Registered
448 Posts
if its only to control the direction of your drift, you don't need a drogue, you can use a warp, doubled to provide a bight if a bit more resistance is needed. It will provide a surprisingly large amount of resistance.

but remember to take it in before engaging the engine!

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Its a case of needing to "man up":uhuh: MOST of us are only recreational anglers, & do it for recreation only, so we want to be as comfortable as possible, I go out for enjoyment, not to throw up. If it looks as if its going to be too rough I dont go, but it its fishable using a drogue, rather than going up & down like a donkeys "doo daa", then I use it, & anybody who wants to "man up & throw up" are quite welcome to do so. I prefer to take the "big girls blouse" option & stack as many odds in my favour as possible, so its anchor down, drogue out, BBC Radio 2 on, kettle on, feet up, & watch Ian make a mess on my boat, & leave lots of terminal tackle spread about, Happy Days :bleh:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.