World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi do anyone have any experience with Parsons 2 stroke outboards. Are they any good. Good or bad experiences would be appreciated.
Thank you

·
Banned
3,442 Posts
Ha! I looked at these on e bay as well as the ones in my last fred, they offer a 3 year warranty I think, if from a uk dealer it may be a step in the right direction for a cheap backup. Jon

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
Terrible cheap Chinese engine.
Warranty is half that of a recognised make.
Try getting support or parts when it fails.
Very limited dealer network.
They are cheap for a reason.
I have experience of the 5hp model which a friend bought.
At under 2 years old he could no longer put up with the unreliability & failing parts & threw it away !
It had already gone through a complete recoil starter unit,coil & carb by the time it was 1 year old & at 2 years old had been not working longer than it had been working.
Corrosion was bad & it was only 2 years old.
Even when it was in one piece it never wanted to start or would start then die.
You are far better off buying a used motor from one of the major respected brands IMO.

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
Ha! I looked at these on e bay as well as the ones in my last fred, they offer a 3 year warranty I think, if from a uk dealer it may be a step in the right direction for a cheap backup. Jon
Surely you don"t want a "cheap back up" you want a "reliable back up" as when you are going to use it (as a back up) it means your main engine has failed so you need the back up to work ?

·
Registered
11,447 Posts
You are far better off buying a used motor from one of the major respected brands IMO.
That's the way I would go - Gilly 65, how does this compare to the Parsun you're looking at?

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/Outboard-Petrol-for-sale/tohatsu-mfs15-epl/160822

This will last and last and probably give you at least a decade, maybe two decades of trouble free operation.

I'd rather trust this as a back up: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENVIRUDE-...315360?hash=item211ff8bb60:g:YW4AAOSwNnRYmOv3

or if you want something that looks less tatty for a bit more: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENVIRUDE-...315360?hash=item211ff8bb60:g:YW4AAOSwNnRYmOv3

·
Registered
342 Posts
I am afraid I totally concur with HL, my buddy took a few in as they were alleged to be Yamaha under licence I believe, putting aside the mechanical deficiencies and unreliability, you would be lucky to get them back to the dealer to put then right before they turned to dust in your boot!!

·
Registered
342 Posts
The engines my buddy took in were all 4 stroke motors, 4- 9.9 hp I think..............................I doubt the 2 stroke build quality was any better mind?

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
I exchanged emails with a Parsun supplier as he had claimed that they were re-badged Yams.
When pressed on the subject & after several emails he admitted that actually they weren"t re-badged Yams !
Vector made the same sort of claims which after I pressed them had to admit that they were a 100% Chinese & had absolutely nothing to do with Yamaha.
Vector however are still claiming the engine is Yamaha designed "The design is based on Yamaha Outboards as per all the current Vector range with all parts interchangeable."
I specifically asked if there were any Yam parts actually in the engine & in the end they admitted there were not.
What they should be saying in their advertising is that a Chinese factory has illegally copied/cloned a Yam engine & produced said clone/copy using much worse materials, manufacturing, QC etc etc

·
Registered
11,447 Posts
I think a Parsun is as much a Yamaha as a Land Wind is a Range Rover Evoque (see below!!) - the Chinese have no compunction about copying anything (as Parsun or whatever other name they're sold as have done to Yamaha), yet of course you don't get the quality of the original. I once overheard a Parsun dealer trying to tell a customer they were a Yamaha copy - implying you get Yamaha standards of build, but of course you don't.

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
You actually can get a real re-badged Yamaha, they are badged Selva & unsurprisingly not much if any cheaper than if they are badged Yamaha.
Same as you can get Tohatsu badged Honda"s & Mercury/Mariner badged Tohatsu"s.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
You actually can get a real re-badged Yamaha, they are badged Selva & unsurprisingly not much if any cheaper than if they are badged Yamaha.
Same as you can get Tohatsu badged Honda"s & Mercury/Mariner badged Tohatsu"s.
I was led to beleive some yams were actually built by selva, same as some yam motorcycles are built by jianshe. If so, then the selva's will be every bit as good as the yams. Resale value doesn't tend to reflect this tho in the case of the bikes, so maybe the bargains are used selvas'?

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
I understood that they were re-badged but if they are actually built by Selva then they will be built under license to Yams standards & specs where as these Chinese copies/clones are just that, poor imitations that are not built to the originals standards & specs & using inferior materials.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Re the Selva Yams, correct they are probably more expensive than Yam here, but also now no proper UK distributor parts availability, have to order bits from Italy.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I understood that they were re-badged but if they are actually built by Selva then they will be built under license to Yams standards & specs where as these Chinese copies/clones are just that, poor imitations that are not built to the originals standards & specs & using inferior materials.
What I dont get tho, is that it costs the same amount of money to make cr*p steel/ally etc as it does good stuff, so why is a lot of chinese steel like cheese?

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Wouldn"t Yam parts fit them ?
Possiby- they may be the same, or may be slightly altered. You can get say Isuzu engines that look identical to an Isuzu built Vauxhall engine, but bolts dont quite line up etc. Some of the Jianshee yams also have slight variations to the Jianshee themselves, although as we know historically, yam and mariner 2 smokes were identical....

A friend of mine, several years ago had a deal going on with Selva, then they just "lost" interest in supplying to the UK... Too small a market was the reason given. How much truth is in that I don't know but seems to fit...

Steve

·
Registered
342 Posts
Sure there are a few dealers but the distributor retired recently, the market was very small here for them, so he couldn't sell the business, so I understand you get your bits from Italy now. Don't know if Yam bits fit my info is on older engines, my mate was not keen on the 2 strokes and never sold a Selva 4.............would have supplied a Yam or a Suzy.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts