World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to your form.
I fish weekly on Party Boats out of Seabrook,New Hampshire.USA.
Usualy we travel out 25 to 35 miles, 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours. These trips are about 8 1/2 to 12 hours.
On our Party Boats you each buy a ticket and find a Rail Position where ever you can and stake your claim.
We fish for Cod , Haddock & Pollock.
We us both Bait ( Clams or Herring ) and Jigs ( Pirks ) along with a Cod Fly above the Jig.
Some days one or the other works well and some days nothing works.
Now the Dog Fish are moving out and the Pollock will start moving in.
We have some limits set for our area ( Gulf of Maine )
( Cod 24" min. and 10 fish only ) ( Haddock 18" Min.)
( Pollock 19" Min.)
I make my own Jigs ( Pirks ) from moulds that I buy on ebay,UK.
I will try to post some pictures but may need some help.( I think I did post a picture of a nice Cod )
On some sites an Image Hosting site is needed ?
I fished Yesterday ( Aug.13,09 ) and the Haddock bite was on in the AM. but after the tide changed it was slow fishing.
I ended the day with 6 nice haddock and 2 pollick.
I would like to hear from some of you and maybe exchange some information or idears.
Jigstoo, My real name is Ron.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Hi Ron
Welcome to the forum
Nice to hear what happens the other side of the pond, thats a heck of a way to go out fishing, don't your charter (party) boats not fish closer inshore?

I don't (yet) do a lot of boat fishing, have done in the past, and getting back into it again.
We had an afternoon trip, 4 hrs, a couple of weeks ago,(charter boat) not serious fishing, but an afternoon out with my son, his neighbour and a couple friends.

We fished with feathers, and mackerel, had a load of small Pollock upto 2 1/2lb a score of Mackerel and some Conger up to 20lb and we were about 200yds off the shore, can only get to this mark by boat.
We could not go out further due to the weather and sea conditions, but we will be going back out again in a few weeks, and the skipper said he'll take us out to some sandbanks to try for some Bass. (weather permitting)

I use Flickr to post pictures with normally a piece of cake, upload pic to computer, go to Flickr, upload to flickr, copy properties of pic, get on forum, click on "insert image", paste the url of your pic (properties of pic on Flickr) job done

Brian

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
http://usera.ImageCave.com/jigstoo/Eastmans june 25,09 all day trip 009.JPGhttp://usera.ImageCave.com/jigstoo/Eastmans june 25,09 all day trip 009.JPGhttp://usera.ImageCave.com/jigstoo/Eastmans june 25,09 all day trip 009.JPGBrian: Hello.
The inshore fishing is limited today because of too much over fishing.
On a 4 hour trip we cach Mackrell ( some days boxes full ) and later in the summer the Blue fish show up and chase the Mackrell to the deep water.
There are allways a few Cod and Cusk and Hake inshore.
The Sand Sharks AKA Spiney Dog Fish move in and take every bate that you drop. ( We don't eat Dog Fish )Some Orenital people do I gess.
The commerical fishermen catch them in their Gill Nets by the ton. ( There is an overseas market for them ) They make Fish & Chips I am told ?????
So anyway when there are 50 to 70 fishermen on a 95 ft. boat they need to go off shore to catch enough quality fish to go around.
I did post a thumnail picture,lets see if I can do more ?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Hi Ron
Thats alot of people on a boat, theres usually between 6 to 12 people on a 30ft plus boat over here.
Dogfish is sold in the Fish and chip shops here under the name of Rock, Rock Salmon or Rig, and I like it. It can be any number of the Dogfish species, Bull Huss, Smoothhound etc.

I am surprised that there is a shortage of fish inshore over there, because I thought your Game and Fish Depts kept an eye on those sorts of things and made no fishing zones, and catch limits, like they do for Hunting and Deer.

Brian

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The inshore fishing is limited because the commerical fishermen had their way for too long.
We used to get good fishing close in but the Gillnetters & Drager Fishermen had so much political clout that no one could agree if there was a problem or not.
So it went from 15" on cod for us and 17" on cod for them. To 24" ( 10 fish limit ) for us and 19" limit for them.
Now we have to travel out to an area called Jefferys Ledge ( Under Sea Mountian ) in the gulf on Maine.
As far as so many people on board , a lot of the time 75% of them don't know what they are doing. ( we call them Googans )
My best Cod this year was 32 lb.
Now the Haddick are biting with some cod & Pollick.
In Sept. The Pollick will realy start and by November
it will be almost all Pollick. Double headers in the 10lb to 20lb. + range .
Also we can't keep any Cod from Nov.1 09 to Aptil 15,2010.
So it looks like all Jig fishing very soon.
I will be pouring a bunch of jigs this week as I need some 14 oz. Norway to sell the Tackle Shop to pay for some more trips.
If anyone needs info on pouring lead jig in the 10oz. to 20oz. give me a PM.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts