World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many anglers here tie their own flies ?

I do and have done so for many years now. Too many that I care to remember.

I recently introduced a friend and fellow fanatic to fly tying. She has taken to it and fly fishing like a duck to water.

One of the best thrill was watching Gill, catch her very first trout on the very first flie she tyed. There is something magical about the whole process.

I'm thankful I've been able to teach someone the same things that were shown to me over 40 years ago.

·
Registered
20,679 Posts
How many anglers here tie their own flies ?

I do and have done so for many years now. Too many that I care to remember.

I recently introduced a friend and fellow fanatic to fly tying. She has taken to it and fly fishing like a duck to water.

One of the best thrill was watching Gill, catch her very first trout on the very first flie she tyed. There is something magical about the whole process.

I'm thankful I've been able to teach someone the same things that were shown to me over 40 years ago.
I did when I was a teen but stopped before I got any good at it really.....too eager to fish..:BigGrin:
I could still rattle out buzzers and lures and the odd easier dry patterns if I had a go I reckon.....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I was taught to tie flies by the late Peter Deane (he lived quite close to me) and I tied my own flies for years...trout, pike and saltwater varieties. I'd end up with so many of the things I used to give them away at the lakeside.

But since this dammed RA took hold, I have trouble just holding a 2/0 hook, let alone tying a buźzer on a size 14...

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Always tyed my just so you can get them just as you want them...... Commercially tyed flies are getting better but normally too bulky for my liking....
Musky

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes I tie my own flies. Born out of necessity more than anything else. Living on the Isle of Wight cannot really buy much in the way of Fly fishing gear.

Great to catch on your own flies as well.

Dave

·
Registered
653 Posts
If you like fly fishing, tying as well is a must.
Nothing like catching on your own flies, and much enjoyment to be had being creative at the vice.
You can also use top quality materials and hooks.
Not to mention the fact that items of road kill and things the cat brings in will suddenly have an appeal.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
If you tie a few patterns it may work out quite cheap but unfortunately we tend to get embroiled in hoarding materials and tying new patterns and then you end up with box fulls of flies.

Reactions: Colinmav
1 - 13 of 13 Posts