World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have given my Patchinko some time each session since mid June. This has not been as much I would have liked but nevertheless it’s been used each outing. So far I have had a couple of offers but nothing landed. I had a look at the Frosty and decided to try this as well. I talked to Mr Fish and he asked my why I was looking at it, my answer was simple. I liked the look of it as it was smaller, to me it just has a more acceptable profile.

Observations by me are that

1. I have, talked myself out the Patchinko although it looks great and does the damage for a lot of people on here.
2. There have possibly not been many Bass in that area when I have been using it.
3. I’m not working it correctly( to be fair sort of discounted this as it looks great to me, but I’m not a Bass)
4. How easy it can be to sometimes lose confidence in something and look for plan B

I will catch on them both, it’s a matter of time and application. Don’t think there is a better way to take a fish than on the surface.

Has anybody else gone through this process with these lures?

Anybody has any comments or tips on using the Frosty?

I might get the chance on Friday night for a couple of hours. If not it will be another week of waiting!

Took this picture of the Patchinko flanked by the Frosty’s. Honestly feel more confident already, they look great and to me the right size, colour and profile. Just right. One is Cabot and the other Ghost Lancon. As Mick said very similar in colour

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
The Frosty is a very under used lure over here and in the UK, but does have a huge following across the water in french France. I too dont use it as much as I should but from the little I have used it I find it more subtle and has less feed back coming to you, so a bit harder to use. The "walk" isnt as pronounced as the Patchinko so I like it in calm conditions. Saying that though I spoke to a french guy recently and he said he loves cranking the hell out of it and making it tumble and turn in quite rough seas!! Who knows eh, but I will like to know how you get on with it Martin.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I don't know which one I like the best the frosty or the ima skimmer, they are both skinnier than your average topwater -which is cool(makes them more sandeel or garfish like). The frosty definately wins in the casting department. The smaller hooks make them smaller fish friendly -if you're catching a lot of small schoolies on big chug bugs etc. you should really switch over to something smaller (the frosty would be my first choice for its better casting distance).

TBH you're expecting a lot looking for consistant topwater action up in scotland. I'd try one of the power stations (but be careful you don't get nuked) -Cockenzie is a good one and scores nearly zero on the trusty geiger counter.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Frosty is a very under used lure over here and in the UK, but does have a huge following across the water in french France. I too dont use it as much as I should but from the little I have used it I find it more subtle and has less feed back coming to you, so a bit harder to use. The "walk" isnt as pronounced as the Patchinko so I like it in calm conditions. Saying that though I spoke to a french guy recently and he said he loves cranking the hell out of it and making it tumble and turn in quite rough seas!! Who knows eh, but I will like to know how you get on with it Martin.
I thought the action might be harder to get out the lure, will try it both ways. Forecast for Friday night looks ok so far so night get the chance

Cheers Mart

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know which one I like the best the frosty or the ima skimmer, they are both skinnier than your average topwater -which is cool(makes them more sandeel or garfish like). The frosty definately wins in the casting department. The smaller hooks make them smaller fish friendly -if you're catching a lot of small schoolies on big chug bugs etc. you should really switch over to something smaller (the frosty would be my first choice for its better casting distance).

TBH you're expecting a lot looking for consistant topwater action up in scotland. I'd try one of the power stations (but be careful you don't get nuked) -Cockenzie is a good one and scores nearly zero on the trusty geiger counter.
Its crossed my mind what you say regarding top water sport in Scotland. That said there are times when there are a number of fish around so Bass being Bass etc it shouldnt matter. Possibly need to do a full session with both lures and by doing this I should cover active and receptive fish at some point( well hope I would)

Dont know if I would bother with the bun fight scenario at any power station. But that might build confidence on getting results and practicing working the lure if there are a lot of fish around even if they are smaller. Been needing an excuse to visit the mother in law who stays 5 minutes from Cockenzie anyway. When I'm over there its not the environment that causes the fall out its usually the red wine:)

Cheers

Mart

·
Registered
456 Posts
Well I have been fishing both for a couple of weeks, Lots of boils/splashes with the Patchinko, but no contact (blame the angler:oops:) Seems to be much easier to fish.
However I have had two fish on the Frosty, neither landed :oops:
But that wasn't the lures fault. The Frosty's action is more subdued, I have to change my WTD action slightly to get the best out of it.
For me the Frosty is the "Go to" surface lure if I am going to a shallow mark where I know there will be fish.
The Patchinko is one of the best search lures I have, you can cover lots of water with it, and even if you don't hook up. Bass seem unable not to follow/boil/splash at it. Some quick lure change and you can get a hook up.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I have been fishing both for a couple of weeks, Lots of boils/splashes with the Patchinko, but no contact (blame the angler:oops:) Seems to be much easier to fish.
However I have had two fish on the Frosty, neither landed :oops:
But that wasn't the lures fault. The Frosty's action is more subdued, I have to change my WTD action slightly to get the best out of it.
For me the Frosty is the "Go to" surface lure if I am going to a shallow mark where I know there will be fish.
The Patchinko is one of the best search lures I have, you can cover lots of water with it, and even if you don't hook up. Bass seem unable not to follow/boil/splash at it. Some quick lure change and you can get a hook up.

Cheers will keep you all posted. Tried it last night on a local mark not really known to hold any numbers of Bass but a few here and there.

Your right regarding the action, little harder to get going

Thought I had hit the jackpot, flogged the hell out of it practising with it and trying out a few other lures. Went to check a gully behind me as the tide was incoming and it was getting dark, looked back round and there was a shoal of fish hitting something 20 yards out. 2 casts with the Frosty, nada. Fired out an Ednonis and it got nailed, felt ok. Turned out to be a Coalie about ¾ pound hooked with both trebles coming in sideways. Had about 8 so saved a blank

1 - 7 of 7 Posts