World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gave my Patchinko its first real going over tonight and found I kept fouling my braid on the middle hook. Any suggestions:help:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, forward hook then that's in the middle of the lure:dry:
Sea like a mill pond, 20lb suffix braid, 8'9" Bushwacker, though I managed to tangle it afew times trying out a 9' Tenyru

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Might be that you've got to much line flowing of the spool.
See if feathering the lure down will help to stop to much braid coming off, and straighten the braid out before it hits the water.
Try a couple of different casts, by that I mean don't try and hit it hard. See if it happens under casting soft, medium and hard.
Deffinetly feather the line off the spool though, it should straighten it out.
Might work, give it a go.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
A fluorocarbon leader should stop this happening (90% of the time) - slow down the line before it hits the water and the problem should be gone

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
See if feathering the lure down will help to stop to much braid coming off, and straighten the braid out before it hits the water.
Try a couple of different casts, by that I mean don't try and hit it hard. See if it happens under casting soft, medium and hard.
I don't think this happens that much on the cast with the Patchinko, although it is easy to tell when the line is hooked around the front treble because it will kite to one side. It normally happens when you over work it and let the line go a bit slack.

I'm with tom, the easiest way to avoid it is with a fluorocarbon leader, whether on the cast or whilst working.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Excellent tip, whether you are using a leader or not.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Had similar problems when I 1st started out with the Sammy. Only cure was a fluro leader and feather the cast before it hits the water.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had this problemwhen I first switched to braid. Think it was being new to braid with any twitch on the rod, repeated on the lure. Now working the lure less but still happens now and again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice, have been using a flourocarbon leader recently but in a rush to get out last night I omitted to tie one with the result that when it did catch the hook, several times it passed through and damaged the braid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts