World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I belive in the north east of england rough ground anglers tie a normal one hook paternoster but the bottom crimp is replaced by a powergum stop knot or telephone wire...the paternoster snood falls to the lead under the weight of a fish, then the whole thing comes in like a normal running leger or the pulley, keeping everything from snagging?

Anybody out there use this, would the powergum or telephone wire keep the snood in position during the cast?

I have even thought of tying a few up with top and bottom crimp replaced by powergum or moveable wire??

·
Registered
568 Posts
Yep, a 5 or 6 turn powergum stop knot will keep everything in place - even with a fish on sometimes - and it certainly will slide down the line under pressure (takes a surprising amount). I don't like pulley rigs, so this set up gives you the best of both worlds.

2 such knots lock everything tighter than a crimp, and yet can still be moved individually to adjust the trace (handy when using bait clips / impact leads etc)

·
Registered
58 Posts
You will understand the benefits of using stop knots instead of crimps when you hit loads of spider crabs. They can make you go through the contents of your rig wallet in a flash if you cant adjust your snoods.

Barry

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
I listened to Paul Kerry give a lecture at the NEC 'Go-Fishing show' earlier this year and he swears by Power Gum knots for making /securing snoods on a casting rig. He gave me a lesson after the talk and I found it difficult to shift his knots! I've tried it but cannot tie as tightly as he did. I'm persevering and have secured the knots with Superglue! His arguement was that it was far easier to adjust snood-to-release-clips using powergum knots than any other way. Must be said that i've yet to use the 'streamlined' rigs yet, it's just that using them seems better than crimps (which always shred the mono for me when I get a hook caught in Kelp) and saves time when tieing up 3 way swivels.

From another point, what a great chap Paul Kerry is, seemed really genuine in his need to help!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Guys, i put two 5 turn stops under the bottom bead and just the 1 above to hold everything neat. you will find that at first theywill move if you pull them, after leaving them for a while they almost stick to the line and a very hard to shift but by adding a little spit you can adjust your snoods to fit bait clips ect. i find this usful when fishing as i can alter my snood length without the need of another rig, just slide the knots to the right spot.

Ryan. :D

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want my knots to slide under the weight of a fish, so the rig comes back in like a pulley or running leger, weight is not hanging low to rocks etc.

When rig is back, can be tightened up easy again, there used to be a website north east sea angling with it on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts