World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a few rods over the years but I think my favourite that suits me, my casting and my fishing is the 13m version of this, still such a great rod to use

However I finally think I need to update, what is the closest rod to these now? Looked at the new supercasts but the single leg guides really put me off

not too bothered about price just want a rod as close to this as possible, but new!

Any ideas welcome thanks

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
Hi nothing wrong with single legger rings my zippy fed has them lets the tip work better than 2 legs plus don't get salt/rust in whippings either as you bend tip right over something has to give so more often than not the coating will crack as ring has to move slightly on blank.

but next rod i have fettled will be single legs near tip not so bad on a pole but a rod with a decent tip works better if tips not restricted by rings
Paul Kerry Whisker kevlar would that be the tournament ie wkt? ifso good rod have myself and if getting rid off be up my street.
Supercasts are good ive the rough ground one 13ft on fuji bignog's?
Found a 13ft not the RGM one for good price other day will have to dig it out for you but you will like the supercast has a glass tip plus parallel but unlike earlier ones so the pipe seats work anywhere on butt

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
If it's the WKT then possibly nothing comes close?, instead of buying a new rod why not have the WKT rebuilt, maybe extend the butt to make it 14ft, 2 or 3 single leg minimas on the tip to allow the tip to perform better, build the whole rod with high stand-off Minimas (Tich are nice) get shot of all the old heavy varnish and whippings and build it light. You'd have a lovely rod then....(my opinion)

lighty

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Daiwa's Whisker Kevlar rods were/are/and forever will be the Dogs Danglies,I cannot even begin to imagine why you would want to "upgrade"when as you say your present rod is more than suited to your needs/style.
If you have a large wad of cash burning a hole in your pocket,I suggest you spend it upgrading your reel or anything else apart from your rod!

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
Yeah then what you can do is throw old rod over here i'l take care of it for you!
they never was heavily varnished though built pretty light as have a WKT myself had mine rebuilt as they came with seymo which broke at hello! but Meta lite rebuild made it a different rod far better with the fuji's on it now

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah my mistake! They are whisker carbon. They read TDPK13M. I had whisker kevlar carp rods of the same era. Still lovely though. Were the kevlar ones better? Maybe i should just get them rebuilt..

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
Sold TDPK last year almost new well unmarked guess yours don't take a reducer! as a rod ace feel it all when out there unlike many expensive rods that feel numb yes we know which ones!
i'd get it rebuilt if needs it if you read up you will find many people that have had them and wish never sold them! not over stiff just a great general use beach rod does what it says on the tin and works full stop don't have to be hercules to cast them either sits in tide pretty good plus great for Ting slaying! 5oz and they fly but can do down to far less ive float fished with mine 1.1/2ozish weight with 65 hispeed flicked it out good distance caught a gilt head bream with it that day.

If rebuilding i'd prob go minima's top 2 or 3 single leg with minimal tut so light as poss guess you have coasters on it think 28mm on butt but could be 30mm could go with pipe with coaster if liked a change?
but think you'd like it esp as done to your choice/liking something nice having a rod made as you like it plus you could if handle too short have a piece put onit like i did with my Century Slammer as found too short for me way they'd had handle covered but the 13 i think is set longer in handle?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Theyre quite long handles yes, and best with 5oz but manage 6. Yeah definitely nice to cast, fish with. Easy to pendulum! Would it be v. Different to a century ttsm or the zziplex profile?

Will hang onto them anyway and get rebuilt. Thanks again!

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
Id say softer maybe not used either of them but from mine i'd say a step up from a bass rod great for match fishing type not a rough ground rod but sure shows bites up and you feel the fish
In there day one of the best have to spend a bit to better id say below the supercasts but then there a lot more in price plus newer but not far away i'd say

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.