World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
.......... well on a float it is!

Most River Waveney anglers, tend to fish with maggots or casters as bait under a float for Roach.

Well I had a spare 2 hours and was bored with doing the same old ledgering thing, so I tried something daft and trotted a strip of squid mounted on a size 2 short shank hook, presented under a balsa type float taking 7AA shot. On about the 8th or 9th trot down the river with the float roughly 30 yards downstream, holding it back hard and inching it down the strongly flowing ebb tide, the float suddenly plummeted beneath the surface, I struck, the light rod hooped over, the drag screamed into life, as something unseen shot both downstream and out towards the middle of the river. It just hung there for awhile offering the occasional lunge, before slowly it came up through the tide towards me. Up she came to the surface and Cooky boi who was fishing alongside me, expertly slid the landing net under it, thanks mate.

No monster, but at 50cms and weighing 3lb it is by far and away the biggest Bass I have caught while 'trotting the stream', as Mr Crabtree termed it when targeting Roach and Chub on the Hampshire Avon.

We fished on for awhile, Cooky had a go with my rod and rig in the hope that he too would pick one up, but unfortunately it didn't happen on this occasion, though I believe it will next time, as now we have a new technique to perfect.

Made my day that fish and completely eliminated the past few sessions spent watching rod tips that very rarely moved. It also proves that we never stop learning when fishing.

As for the Kingfisher who was catching tiddlers nearby, well that was another altogether special gift.

Water Smile Sky Cloud Fisherman

Fish hook Fishing net Bait Fishing bait Fishing lure

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
What a fabulous report Alan, this such a good way of fishing and fun, light rod and using the tide. love your style using reference of Mr Crabtree .

Well done on a wonderful bass Alan, tight lines for many more.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Holy Sh1t Alan
How exciting for you.
Bet you never expected that!
I'm now inspired to give it another go myself the s'afternoon. I had all but given up for the season after blanking on my last 3 outings. Better get those lures back out again :D
Once again...well done (y)(y)

·
Registered
584 Posts
Well done Alan.
One of the most underrated forms of sea fishing ( and most exciting) in my opinion is float fishing.Two of the best fights i have ever had from sea fish have been on float tackle.
In my experience, using circle hooks result in hardly any missed bites when using a float.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What a fabulous report Alan, this such a good way of fishing and fun, light rod and using the tide. love your style using reference of Mr Crabtree .

Well done on a wonderful bass Alan, tight lines for many more.
You're not wrong there, Gavin, much fun indeed. Perhaps not too dissimilar to the way in which you bounce your lures down the estuary that you fish.

As for Mr Crabtree, well what angler of a certain age, does not include that legend in their top 5 anglers of all time? I know I do. 🙂

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Holy Sh1t Alan
How exciting for you.
Bet you never expected that!
I'm now inspired to give it another go myself the s'afternoon. I had all but given up for the season after blanking on my last 3 outings. Better get those lures back out again :D
Once again...well done (y)(y)
It wasn't entirely a surprise as I had seen Bass striking at fry, but still was far from certain I could get a bait to where they were and even less certain that they would take it.

It's strange, Pete, but I've seen more Bass activity in the past couple of days on both the river and Breydon, than I had previously all summer. I can only assume they've been upstream and now readying themselves to head back out to sea?

Did you go today and if so did you catch?

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great report and pics ,ive fancied doing similar on the deben with a ragworm but havent got round to it, well done.
Thank you Mr H. You really should give it a go boi, after all what have you to lose? Ragworm will definitely be taken if they're present and hungry. 👍

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well done Alan.
One of the most underrated forms of sea fishing ( and most exciting) in my opinion is float fishing.Two of the best fights i have ever had from sea fish have been on float tackle.
In my experience, using circle hooks result in hardly any missed bites when using a float.
Yes I realise that you're keen on float fishing yourself, Paul. Great fun indeed and brought back old skills from days gone by of trotting a stick float down the river and catching Roach and the odd Chub. It was tricky to do, as the wind kept taking the float off track and it was not possible because of the terrain to get closer to where the Bass were striking, so all the more rewarding when I put the rig exactly where they were.

I had a 48cm Bass on a bombarda float cast out about 40 yards into Breydon on slack water a couple of months back, that was also rewarding.

Interesting that you mention circle hooks as I'm using them more all the time, great for Bass in particular I find.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks fella. 👍

Yes exciting when the float went but even more so when the reel sang out as the Bass took line.

·
Registered
201 Posts
It wasn't entirely a surprise as I had seen Bass striking at fry, but still was far from certain I could get a bait to where they were and even less certain that they would take it.

It's strange, Pete, but I've seen more Bass activity in the past couple of days on both the river and Breydon, than I had previously all summer. I can only assume they've been upstream and now readying themselves to head back out to sea?

Did you go today and if so did you catch?
Hi Alan
I did go yesterday. I fished 2 hours up, and 2 hours down trying all my tried and tested lures, and then some. On the positive side, all the weed had disappeared that had been plaguing me for weeks, but on the down side....I blanked!!....again.
I think I'm gonna call it quits for the season. I know when I'm beaten lol
Not been too bad a one to be fair. Largest fish 69cm 4 others 60+ 11 at 50+ and numerous undersized.
I guess it's now time to dust down the " Heavy Artillery" and start visiting good ole Gorleston tackle and get some proper bait on order. Just in time for the tings eh lol
Anyways, I digress.
All power to your elbow then Alan, and all you guys and gall's out there.
I'll post again as and when I beat my PB Whiting :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
You're not wrong there, Gavin, much fun indeed. Perhaps not too dissimilar to the way in which you bounce your lures down the estuary that you fish.

As for Mr Crabtree, well what angler of a certain age, does not include that legend in their top 5 anglers of all time? I know I do. 🙂
Hi Alan, you are right, it is a very similar way of fishing, and very productive.

Mr Crabtree, certainly is in the upper side of the top five.

Stay well and very tight lines for your next session

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Lovely fish and technique. That background looks inviting, the sort to place I would need the binoculars. ;)

Reactions: Sole intentions

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Alan
I did go yesterday. I fished 2 hours up, and 2 hours down trying all my tried and tested lures, and then some. On the positive side, all the weed had disappeared that had been plaguing me for weeks, but on the down side....I blanked!!....again.
I think I'm gonna call it quits for the season. I know when I'm beaten lol
Not been too bad a one to be fair. Largest fish 69cm 4 others 60+ 11 at 50+ and numerous undersized.
I guess it's now time to dust down the " Heavy Artillery" and start visiting good ole Gorleston tackle and get some proper bait on order. Just in time for the tings eh lol
Anyways, I digress.
All power to your elbow then Alan, and all you guys and gall's out there.
I'll post again as and when I beat my PB Whiting :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Was hoping to read that you found a few, but well done for trying.

Clearly you've had a cracking summer Peter, 5 fish of 60cm+ is some going and you deserve to be congratulated. 👏👏

Were they all on soft plastics, may I ask?

BTW good luck with the Ting quest. 🤪

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Alan, you are right, it is a very similar way of fishing, and very productive.

Mr Crabtree, certainly is in the upper side of the top five.

Stay well and very tight lines for your next session
Thanks Gavin. Best of luck to you also. Keep in touch fella. 🙂

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lovely fish and technique. That background looks inviting, the sort to place I would need the binoculars. ;)
You'd be most welcome to join me there, Carl. There's even a slipway if you fancy taking your oversized bath toy on the water, would certainly be interesting to see what you turned up on your sounder. As for the Birdlife, it's an awesome place.

BTW I saw what I believe was a Loon swim past the other day at Waxham, he wasn't catching either!

Water Water resources Sky Fluid Beach

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Thanks for the invite but I tend not to fish in those foreign lands. Looks nice and floundery though which is what I need.
Nice pic of the red-throated btw.

Reactions: Sole intentions

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the invite but I tend not to fish in those foreign lands. Looks nice and floundery though which is what I need.
Nice pic of the red-throated btw.
Definitely Flounders there, though I usually fish hooks a bit on the large side for them so consequently don't get many.

Thanks for the birdy confirmation, a most stately looking species.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Was hoping to read that you found a few, but well done for trying.

Clearly you've had a cracking summer Peter, 5 fish of 60cm+ is some going and you deserve to be congratulated. 👏👏

Were they all on soft plastics, may I ask?

BTW good luck with the Ting quest. 🤪
Hi Alan
Yep...in answer to your question, they where all indeed mainly on soft plastics. Specifically, the white SG weedless v2 sandeels. They have done me proud this Season. I have various colours in the same design but it always seemed to be it was the white variety that did the business for me. I lost a few to snags over the course of the season...but nowhere near as many as I would expect with exposed hooks 🪝
Mainly fished bumped over the bottom with the tide with a painfully slow retrieve giving it a few twitches here and there for good measure.
Cheers for now then Alan
Tight lines 🐟🐟🎣🎣

1 - 20 of 34 Posts