World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>Are peeler crabs at Harrods overpriced at £1 each?.If a peeler is sold at 25p retail the catcher probably gets 20p if he&#39;s lucky.If he wants the national minimum wage of £3.70 ? he has to catch about 18 an hour or one every 3 minutes I have never searched for peelers but even at the most prolific part of the season this seems to be going some &#33;As the season tails off and beds become worked out this catch rate must diminish considerably.Taken into account his other costs (and tax &nbsp;
) of travel costs ,sorting,losses,cleaning up after ,his true reward might be £2.00 an hour if lucky.Or twice the pay of a scandalously paid chinese cockle picker. Seems to me a crab at 25p is a real bargain,50p would be reasonable and £1 not excessive for Harrods. If someone knows first hand a bit more about it or m figures are way out let&#39;s hear it.
</font>

·
Registered
568 Posts
<font color='#810541'>Dunno much about the &#39;cost&#39; of bait cos I am lucky enough to be able to collect nearly all that I need - the exception being squid (which I can&#39;t get myself) and frozen sandeel (which, being blast frozen, are better quality than trying to collect then freeze yourself in a domestic freezer).

For me, bait collecting is fun/enjoyable and an integeral part of my fishing experience. &nbsp;Cost doesn&#39;t come into it. &nbsp;

I gotta agree with Prof - I can&#39;t see how anyone could make a living from providing anglers with bait unless they adopt a factory/commercial approach. &nbsp;

What&#39;s all the fuss about peeler crabs anyway ? &nbsp;I haven&#39;t used a single peeler all year and have still caught lots of fish &nbsp;
</font>

·
Registered
312 Posts
<font color='#000000'>If you know somwhere I can get peelers at 25p each let me know 50p-£1 is the normal price depending on the time of year location etc.</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts