World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure if this is in the correct forum but here goes.if you are looking for peelers and you find traps,would you check them or not.i can see the point that somebody has gone to the trouble of making and setting these but the crabs are free to whoever finds them.i always return rocks to thier original position and the same for any traps i find so its not as if i am destroyin them.

what do other people think about this.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
better not be mine:)

locally, people think that if the owner isnt there by the turn of the tide then they are fare game. but its a risk you take as there are some very nasty people about.

we dont like others doing our traps especially after spending many hard hours setting and checking them and keeping them working for someone else to come along and reap your rewards.

they are best left a couple of tides to get a few crab in them. this is why you wont see someone down every tide. i make regular trips down to check mine arnt getting done while i,m leaving them.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Do a forum search for "crab traps" the thread was started on 11-04-07 by paul morgan. :)

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
dont assume that because there is no one doing them they arnt being watched.
i know of one area where the lads take turns making sure they arnt getting done. even through the night.

in another area you will be shot at with an air rifle. i was told that somewhere down south where they get crab all year round and ship them all over the country they actually pay security to watch them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The beach isn't theirs and the crabs aren't theirs till they pick em up, is what i think.

And as for shooting someone one with an air rifle over them, thats psychotic.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I think its disgusting taking crabs from other anglers traps. No, the crabs don't belong to anyone, well, until you catch them that is.
We had this argument on the south coast forum earlier in the year and i was genuinely ASTONISHED how many anglers thought they were a free for all. You couldn't make it up honestly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I do understand someone being peeved if they put the time and effort into creating these traps but it comes down to the coast belonging to everybody for me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I do understand someone being peeved if they put the time and effort into creating these traps but it comes down to the coast belonging to everybody for me.
It's a bit of a low blow though ain't it, if someone's prepared to put the time and effort into making and setting trap's just to have some lazy sod come and empty them, I know the coast belong's to everyone but you wouldn't offer to net a fish for someone and then claim it for yourself would you, or walk along the beach and pick up a bucket of worm's that somebody's just dug:g:

Cheer's Baz

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmm food for thought.i think i am best to speak to the other anglers and see if i can put my own traps out.as somebody said the crabs are free but im sure we can ALL be reasonable cos airguns and stuff is a bit much.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Thats just a technicality. You wouldn't expect someone to grab a bass off your hook that you had spent a fair amount of money trying to catch.

Theft imo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If the worm digger has them in the bucket then they're his. But i see crab traps as if he ropes off the mud flats and says "all those worms in there are mine, cus i roped it off" which isnt right.

·
Registered
390 Posts
:nono: I agree that if someone puts tyres down they're not really a free for all, it's selfish to deliberately nick someone elses crabs.

However if it's a lonely tyre, who's to say someone laid it deliberately to catch crabs??... and as for someone shooting you with an air rifle for looking in their traps!!!, they need locking up!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well went to look for more peelers today and spoke to a few collecters.thay were all from a town around 50 miles away and they said they sell most of what they find.they said they have had loads of bother from the locals and basically to stay away from the traps(menacing lol).
i then spoke to a dude walking his dog who told me that the 4 were well known and just to go right ahead and check the traps when they went there.i thought sod that am not gettin lynched just for a few peelers so i looked around boulders and in the weeds and i ended up getting more crabs which were bigger than the ones from the traps.

theres a moral here somewhere not sure what it is though lol:clap2: :clap2:

·
Registered
37 Posts
If the worm digger has them in the bucket then they're his. But i see crab traps as if he ropes off the mud flats and says "all those worms in there are mine, cus i roped it off" which isnt right.
I can see your point but would you take a boat out and empty somebody's crab or lobster pot's ?
I totally agree about locking people up who shoot at you with air rifle's though, they are just thug's :uhuh:

Cheer's Baz

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can see your point but would you take a boat out and empty somebody's crab or lobster pot's ?
Hypothetically, not in a boat but if i could swim to them i'd take only what i would eat, same with crab traps - take only what id use that session and never harvest to sell on. In reality i'm too lazy to do either.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
anyone can go and put traps out for crabs, anywehere. no other angler can stop you doing that.

some just want to go through others traps though.

just imagine, you have put many hours of sreiously hard work not just digging the tyres in but in some cases carrying hundreds of them 2 at a time for up to 1/2 mile. then regularly going down to find someone else is already doing them and your not going to get anything out of them. its even bad if someone did them the tide before you, you will get little out of them.

the reason there is so much hostility towards people raiding traps is to set a president.

the odd person doing them occasionally happens all the time and apart from being there every single tide you cant stop it. this isnt a problem though.

it starts when everyone thinks its a free for all to go through any trap they find.
you then end up with a situation where people dont go looking through rocks and weed when there are lines of traps you just need top put your hand in. once this happens the guy who originally put them in gets nothing from them and all the effort he originally put in.

our only solution to stop this is try our best to keep everyone out of them. i even get annoyed if the guy who has traps next to mine goes through mine as i dont touch his.

sorry, welcome to the site, daktorin

·
Registered
5 Posts
It just bothers me reading these crab trap threads and hearing of people being shot at, followed home, having car windows broken, hospitalised, putting broken bottles in traps. All over bleeding crabs, that i see as natures till you have them in hand.

Thanks for the welcome. :)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
whats the likelyhood of those same people who threaten others, getting the hump if you put out your own traps near theirs? would they trash them or more likely empty them! all sounds a bit off to me!

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
It just bothers me reading these crab trap threads and hearing of people being shot at, followed home, having car windows broken, hospitalised, putting broken bottles in traps. All over bleeding crabs, that i see as natures till you have them in hand.

Thanks for the welcome. :)
It's called crabbin fever,but don't worry it soon passes.:blink:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts