World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it just me but if i go into a tackle / bait shop and ask for either fresh or frozen peeler crab i get the impresion you are not allowed to buy them i know you need to keep existing customers happy but if i go to any shop to buy anything i expect the owner to welcome my custom or i wont go back

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
is it just me but if i go into a tackle / bait shop and ask for either fresh or frozen peeler crab i get the impresion you are not allowed to buy them i know you need to keep existing customers happy but if i go to any shop to buy anything i expect the owner to welcome my custom or i wont go back
They like to make their regulars happy and won't sell a big load of stuff to just anyone to leave their regulars short. I find if you become a regular and give enough notice you can get anything anytime, the trick like I say is to become that regular.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I know exactly what you mean mate. Went into the tackle shop(years ago) bought some items ,went to pay and asked "any peeler crab in? The owner said "yes,but only frozen".I asked for a dozen. The owners wife said"is he a regular ?,we only let regulars have the crab as its in short supply"...in the end i was allowed the crab at an extortionate price!!...i wish they refused me the crab to be honest as when i went fishing the crab were rubbish,some wherent any where near ready to peel and the rest were stinking too. At a later date i fished near their crab supplier who admitted selling dead crabs hed frozen when already dead, as in his veiw they were still ok.Plus when i went to pack up,i went to throw some of my left over crab in the sea (crab frozen by myself)and the crab supplier almost had a heart attack and raced onto the rocks and as each wave went back frantically searched for the crab id thrown in......"what you throw em for!! worth 50p each!!" was what he told me.......so i would never buy crab from that tackle shop again.
There are good dealers out there.So find a good one and stick to him.
I also fancied fishing the Teignmouth Flounder comp years ago,fresh crab were hard to find locally,so i thought id get some frozen from a shop where i was going fishing as a back up.I phoned to pre-book some and was asked "are you local"and got the same sort of treatment,"i only sell the frozen to locals who support me all year" I know shops like to look after their regulars,but shops that say they have crab but you cant have any of it wont ever see me go there again.
Better if they said"its sold out or its all pre-booked"not weve got some but "its not for you"LOL

·
Registered
181 Posts
First come first served.
I will always try to help regulars, but in my mind you show me the money you get the crabs. They are no good sitting in my fridge earning me nothing.
:fishing1:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts