World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does any1 collect peeler crab and if could i please have some because i am a beginner and nver fished with peeler crab and every shop i try for it never has it in stock:help:

G

·
on occaision mate it can be a fantastic bait however as a begiiner i think you will probs be better off just trying to get a few fish under your belt, personally i would fish one of the piers after dark using mackerel strip/ragworm and try and get a few whiteys and flatties under your belt.

I have also always had more success with some nice freshly dug runny down than with crab.

G

·
cheers mate nd wot do u mean by runnys

runny down are black lug worm. When i was younger used to dig them myself and always found them excellent. moreso in the autum/winter though when theres some decent fish around. Not many places to dig them though and it generally need a big time and a strong back as its bloody hard work! its also needs a specific technique.

i really think at the min you will be better off pottering on for smaller fish, will keep your interest up better than trying to catch that elusive lunker!!!

then when it gets to october/november and some decent seas start on big baits for bigger fish

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers mate i go fishing twice a week and just havent caught a thing yet but cheers for the advice mate

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Danny,
Collecting peelers can be very hard work, so whatever crab they get, they would probley not part with. If you really want to try crab which i think is a very good bait, try collecting it yourself, it feels better catching a fish on the bait you have picked yourself. Go to the shore at low tide, somewhere that has weed, rocks and a muddy bottom. When you lift a crab, twist the leg off ,one in from the back. If its a white strand inside it not a peeler, if theres a new soft brown leg underneath you have got one.
A wee tip, you can spot a potential peeler by its metabolism, if its harldy moving, even when you pick it up, its more than likley it a peeler or a softy (a softy is when its just the peeling stage).

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Hi Danny,
Collecting peelers can be very hard work, so whatever crab they get, they would probley not part with. If you really want to try crab which i think is a very good bait, try collecting it yourself, it feels better catching a fish on the bait you have picked yourself. Go to the shore at low tide, somewhere that has weed, rocks and a muddy bottom. When you lift a crab, twist the leg off ,one in from the back. If its a white strand inside it not a peeler, if theres a new soft brown leg underneath you have got one.
A wee tip, you can spot a potential peeler by its metabolism, if its harldy moving, even when you pick it up, its more than likley it a peeler or a softy (a softy is when its just the peeling stage).

Hope this helps...

yeah when im lookin for crab and i turn a rock over, if theres a crab and it runs like hell or tryes to eat me then dont bother with it cos its prob a hardback. :thumbs:

for now thought mate i would take the above advise and just staick to fishing places with deepish water and 2 hours before high and 1 down or beaches and fish 1 down 3 up. use rag n macky. i have been fishin for about 4 years properly and have only started usin crab this year properly. its a good bait but only for certain fish, macky n rag are the best all rounders :) rag off beaches though, and both off deepish marks

·
The Ego
6,046 Posts
cheers mate i go fishing twice a week and just havent caught a thing yet but cheers for the advice mate
Have you thought it could be your set up and not your bait?
Why don't you let us know what rigs you use with snood stength and length of snood and size of hooks.

G

·
Have you thought it could be your set up and not your bait?
Why don't you let us know what rigs you use with snood stength and length of snood and size of hooks.
i didn't catch for ages after startinfg sea fishing (last year). what made all the difference was bait presentation. until i was shown otherwise, i used to "loop" big worm baits on the hook. once i learnt to thread the worm up the hook and trace, exposing the hook point, i started to catch fish.

obviously creeper (maddies) are a different proposition.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts