World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone sells crab???? I would prefer good sized frozen, I know its too early but if anyone has a surplus I will gladly buy them. I used to collect my own - think I will struggle to find the time this year.

Cheers - Craig.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the link - a bit expensive for what they are. The local crab we get up our way are of much bigger average size, maybe I will just have to try and make the time.........

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your vast experience is hardly conclusive proof. Remind me why there is such demand for them????

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
i have used fresh and frozen crab
fresh will always outdo frozen but you need to use frozen during the winter as no fresh are about

·
Registered
303 Posts
This thread puts forward a good case for getting a bait freezer and freezing down fresh bait when it is plentiful for use in the winter thus saving a small fortune and always having bait to go out with.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
yes it does if you do it right though.
the only bait i freeze are herring mackerel
i buy frozen squid mussels
never tried any shop bought frozen lug / peelers etc

·
Registered
16 Posts
Depends where you are ! i live in S.wales !! The main **** crab Moult starts(depending on conditions & area) ! Put it this way i have picked peelers from late feb onwards to the main moult around mid March !Hopfully it will be the same this year?? wants to be co`s i have a order 4 if poss 200 crabs by march 4th to Yorkshire !mmmmmmmmm ! we will see !!??

·
Registered
287 Posts
If you want good crab its better if you lay out some traps and check them daily if it's possible .To get them most the year , i've found from experiance that if you have traps at veryous stages of the tide you can get crabs for longer by checking the ones still in the water .
Traps can be made from lengths of guttering (about a foot long) wedge in the mud with a hollow under it .Hope it helps.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hi Craig,

It depends where about are you mate ? Angus Country Sports in Arbroath is an Ammo frozen baits stockist, they have both peeler and velvet along with black lug, calamari,razor, mussels etc.
Again price is a consideration though.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheers Bob - I am in Fife, most of my fishing is around the Angus area so I will drop into country Sports in Arbroath.

Thanks - Craig.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
i'm new to this site, but i was reading the stuf about frozen baits and i was wondering if it is possible to freeze down mussels, i have collecting them nd using them fresh but it sould be handy if i could freeze a load down. Tozer

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
welcome 2 the site tozer.. i dont no about mussel, somebody will thow, i,d have thought they couldnt b frozen.. but u never no m8....

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Tozer,

Mussel works well and can be frozen no probs. I shell them and put them in freezer bags. Just let them thaw when you are fishing, putting them in a rock pool works well.

·
Registered
568 Posts
All this talk of mussels is taking the thread right off topic, and being a mod I should know better .... but here ia how I freeze / use them:

Shell them and leave them in a sieve for a couple of hours for water/juices to run out, then freeze in small batches. When it comes to using them, I thread a few onto a baiting needle while they are still semi-frozen. Then I wrap some elastic around them, creating a sausage of mussels on the baiting needle. Cut the 'sausage' to whatever size of bait you want and then slide off the baiting needle and onto the hook. Much easier than trying to tie them to the hook with elastic :)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Sorry to differ Manx, but up here we freeze them with their juices, and thaw them completly before using, still in their juices. The steeping in juices is believed to help the scent trail.

I do like the idea about the part thawing and baiting needle suggestion though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts