World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

i have just been to have a look around the gillingham pier area and a bit futher along coast to try to find somewhere to setup some traps for peeler. i was thinking about using either tyres or sections of guttering, is it worh my while and has anybody done the same with any results?

cheers danny

D

·
0 Posts
give it a go mate but other's will check the trap's.if you can get hold of some corrigated tin sheet's they work well and plastic pipes pushed into the mud.i went to my :secret: place in the swale and found 30 in an hour so they will glut very soon.....dave.

W

·
0 Posts
hi danny,

when i fish medway city estate i lower a bait trap down filled with mackerel in the bait pouch into the water and by the end of my session i have up to 20 peeler crabs. i freeze them and then use them.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
hi danny,

when i fish medway city estate i lower a bait trap down filled with mackerel in the bait pouch into the water and by the end of my session i have up to 20 peeler crabs. i freeze them and then use them.
i didn't think crabs fed when they peel. what type of crab are they?

D

·
0 Posts
you can entice loads of crabs into a trap using bait then wait till they peel.used to do it with an eel trap and a can of cat meat.u have to be carefull though as the hardbacks will eat the softies and peelers......dave.

W

·
0 Posts
Big Guy,

You Can Tell They Are Peelers Because When You Break Half Of One Of
Thier Legs Of There Is A Smaller Different Colour Leg Inside.
Thats A Peeler Crab.

Will93

·
Registered
340 Posts
i think big guy was getting at that peelers dont feed when they are in the moulting process, as they hide away from predators whilst they shed/you get em hiding under the male crab sometimes (put me right if im wrong please). i think he was trying to establish if the crabs were actually peelers rather than just hardbacks.

D

·
0 Posts
dan,the reason the males are carrying them crabs is to wait untill they have peeled and then they get a seeing too!!.....dave.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Big Guy,

You Can Tell They Are Peelers Because When You Break Half Of One Of
Thier Legs Of There Is A Smaller Different Colour Leg Inside.
Thats A Peeler Crab.

Will93
Think you mean that the colour should be the same as the hard outer shell or a similar colour. If it’s white sinew it’s not a peeler.

·
The Ego
6,046 Posts
I found an edible crab that was peeling today, when I put it with the rest of the peelers it began to eat them. End of the day I didn't have another container so the edible crab went back

1 - 13 of 13 Posts