World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This
We used peeler crab and harbour rag for bait, both baits fished as well as the other.
from Dozza's recent thread got me thinking about peelers.

Special targets like smuts aside, is peeler reeeeally all that as a general bait? Even targetting bass I find it highly variable — a bit better over rocks etc, but for me lug outfishes it everywhere (though you do get plagued with schoolies on lug), and squid outfishes it from beaches.

I used to think of peeler as almost The top bait, was always told it was, but going on my own results it's only a goodish backup.
[The frozen stuff in Fordy's sure ain't worth what they're charging for it!]

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
This
from Dozza's recent thread got me thinking about peelers.

Special targets like smuts aside, is peeler reeeeally all that as a general bait? Even targetting bass I find it highly variable — a bit better over rocks etc, but for me lug outfishes it everywhere (though you do get plagued with schoolies on lug), and squid outfishes it from beaches.

I used to think of peeler as almost The top bait, was always told it was, but going on my own results it's only a goodish backup.
[The frozen stuff in Fordy's sure ain't worth what they're charging for it!]
i wouldnt waste peeler on clean beaches..and i wouldnt buy that sheiite from fordys either..crab is in its element when its used on ground it lives in..ie weedy/rocky/muddy ground.close to shore.for codling,smuts etc.then its deadly and the only thing the fish are in for.fingers crossed foxy we should get a few morow:) ..

·
Registered
439 Posts
I am with you on this one, spent a fortune on peeler, and caught nowt on it. Lug seems to outfish it every time. Mind you everytime I go in the shop, they manage to sell me another dozen, and I got no idea why I keep buying it.:giveup:

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I agree with wilky there, ive had easy access to peeler all my life and although i tend to use it all the time its only certain venues and certain species where its really effective.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I don't often use peeler but i've found that in my own experience it doesn't catch as many fish as worm/fish baits but seems to sort out the better sized fish. A lot of my PBs have come when using peeler crab, such as bass, cod, flounder, eel. I don't use it if I don't feel it'll catch me the species I'm targetting.

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
only thing i've ever caught on it is wrasse,but i've had them on hardbacks too:g:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
great for the cod and the flounder thats about it really lug for me and rag will catch most fish will never pay 75p for one crab when u can get them for nothing .

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I do think its over rated, and yes very over priced.

But like sheff82 said, it does seem to sort out the better size fish from the others. The majority of my PB's have been caught on peeler, including Cod, Bass and smuts.

Still, its a lot cheaper than Dynamite.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
One thing i don't agree with and thats it being over priced. For a commercial collector to pick up 2 dozen can easily take an hour or 2 when they are scarce and he would only get £6 a doz and it can be hard work. The shops don't really make that much on top maybe a quid or 2.:)

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
I think it's like most other things - there is a time and place for everything. Certain times and places it's the only bait that catches anything;)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Spider Crab is the best peeler crab. Its oily, smelly and lasts a lot longer than shore crab.

Oh and catches fish.

·
Registered
408 Posts
i wouldnt waste peeler on clean beaches..and i wouldnt buy that sheiite from fordys either..crab is in its element when its used on ground it lives in..ie weedy/rocky/muddy ground.close to shore.for codling,smuts etc.then its deadly and the only thing the fish are in for.fingers crossed foxy we should get a few morow:) ..
I totally agree.

·
Registered
293 Posts
You cant beat a bucket of fresh lug. Oh.....and dig your own, its cheaper!

Good thread. I dont rate peeler much either. Maddies are also good...landed my PB last week. 5.8 bar of silver. Still smurking!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
without a doubt peeler when used in the right enviroment is the no 1 bait,codling love them when they r peeling bass and the rays wont look at anything else ,every estuary flounder you will catch is full of them ,i fished 2 rods over a sandy beach,both with 3 hook flappers size 2 kamasans,one with maddies one with maddies tipped with peeler legs and claws the tip baited rod totally outfished the worm rod resulting in gurnard,dogs ,plaice,turbot,bass

·
Registered
256 Posts
All depends what the fish are feeding on at the time, like some other baits ! time it well and your laughing, otherwise your just wasting your money !!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts