World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all and thanks for reading. I've a few questions I am trying to clear up. I have recently moved to the N Kent area and would like to collect some crabs for myself next year.
I understand that the winter we've just had:cold: put everything on hold but roughly what time of year do they start to peel? I've been told anywhere between mid-March to end of April? How long does the molt usually last for? I've read of some anglers having live crabs into August, can this be right? Do they peel for a 2nd time later in the year at all? Is it possible to collect them before they start the process and keep them in some sort of tank at all. What are the best ways to collect them? Is it better to use traps of some sort or is good old fashioned hard work more rewarding?
I know some of you may find these questions odd, but I'm just trying to get it right in my mind in preparation for next year and any help would be appreciated.
Many Thanks

Species 2010: Rockling, Whiting, Pouting, Dab, Flounder, Dogfish, Bass, Thornback Ray, Smoothound, Sole

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Hello mate. If you use the search tool you`ll find all the questions you`ve asked have been answered many times already this season and if i wasnt such a numpty regarding computors i`d be able to post you a link or two but i dont know how.Just type in peeler crab and you`ll see all the info you will need. Tight uns mate :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
north kent crabs start anytime from april --depends on weather reach there peak sometime in may [this is for the big males] you can find a few females and some smaller males right through the summer and autumn :clap3: but its hard work

traps are roof tiles old pipes and tyres ---there are plenty in places but could all ways do with more :clap2:

would not worry to much about it now untill next spring:schmoll:

remember rocks tiles ect REPLACE THEM AS YOU FIND THEM

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
check the link on my signature its a good un for crabs

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks chaps, I know it must be asked many times over the seasons, it's nice that I've got some help. Thanks for the links etc:1a:

Species 2010: Rockling, Whiting, Pouting, Dab, Flounder, Dogfish, Bass, Thornback Ray, Smoothound, Sole

1 - 8 of 8 Posts