World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:)HI ALL JUST A QUICK QUESTION REGARDING PEELER CRAB.DO YOU PEEL THE SHELL OFF THE LEGS OR LEAVE THEM ON,SOME PEOPLE SAY YOU DO AND SOME SAY YOU DON;T OR IS IT JUST PERSONAL CHOICE. CHEERS:g:

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
:)HI ALL JUST A QUICK QUESTION REGARDING PEELER CRAB.DO YOU PEEL THE SHELL OFF THE LEGS OR LEAVE THEM ON,SOME PEOPLE SAY YOU DO AND SOME SAY YOU DON;T OR IS IT JUST PERSONAL CHOICE. CHEERS:g:
Hi ramrod i use a lot of crab though the yr and the way i do it i take all the shell off and in between the eyes aswell and cut out the lungs i was out on saturday and had over 25 bass out this way tight lines

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
I know a lot of people do it, but why is it important to take out the gills if using fresh crab straight away?

Thanks,

jamie
i've been told it sours the flesh and the fish wont eat it, thats why you should never buy frozen peelers that still have the shell on
cuberd

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Boll*x

if a fish comes across a natural peeler does it refuse it becuase it still has its gills in.........dont think so some how!

only time i removes the gills is when freezing it
all my live crab go on the hook with gills left in

·
Registered
181 Posts
i've been told it sours the flesh and the fish wont eat it, thats why you should never buy frozen peelers that still have the shell on
cuberd
God. there is a lot of rubbish about.:nonono:
So how does mr fish eat crab when he is swiming along the shore then.
Excuse me mr crab will you take your lungs out first please.
:schmoll:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I think the lungs thing is down to people having crappy freezers at home, normal domestic jobs full of micro chips and stuff. If you have a good chest freezer with a quick freeze option I don't think you'd even have to remove the lungs when freezing. I imagine that the lungs have some substance in them to limit their ability to freeze so that the crab can still breathe in freezing waters when the rest of them is gone all sluggish.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
They are not lungs, they are gills! And fish never find a peeler, as the crab knows well in advance of the event when it is going to shed its shell, and finds the deepest cover it can, and hides away from predators. The only point where a crab is vulnerable is the crabs own fault, after it has shed the shell and is a soft crab, it sees its own discarded old shell, thinks it is an itruder after it, and moves out to find another hiding place, perhaps a few feet away. When I had crab pots on the T***n, if I found an empty shell from a crab, then I knew there was a softie nearby, if I hadn't already found it.
I peel everything, removing the gills,mouthparts, eyes, wedding tackle, I peel all the claws and legs to tip off the main body, and use the lycra thread to secure the body to the shank of the hook so it comes out like a sausage, then add legs by threading from the first joint to the thickest end of the leg as tipping. The 2 claws are a bait on their own.

Hope this helps,

philtherod

F

·
0 Posts
When freezing i remove all the shell completley, the under shell and crevises in between the leg sockets also the lungs and gill plates as they go coulored otherwise and also wrap them as tightly as possible in clingfilm
and i also wrap them in foil afterwards you don't have to but they seem to freeze up quicker and also if you store them in a flask when fishing you can refreeze them if still frozen. You could leave the whole crab as it is and freeze it and probablies still catch fish but its just personal choice and keeping bait as neat or as fresh when frozen. When i am using fresh crab whoever i leave the lungs and gill covers on and just shell the crab and whip it on the hook as its not going to make a difference when you fish them straight of and i have had some clonking fish on fresh crab, basically its personal choice but lots and lots of people remove the lung and gills completley when frezzing them up. Hope this information helps you mate.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
They are not lungs, they are gills! And fish never find a peeler, as the crab knows well in advance of the event when it is going to shed its shell, and finds the deepest cover it can, and hides away from predators. The only point where a crab is vulnerable is the crabs own fault, after it has shed the shell and is a soft crab, it sees its own discarded old shell, thinks it is an itruder after it, and moves out to find another hiding place, perhaps a few feet away. When I had crab pots on the T***n, if I found an empty shell from a crab, then I knew there was a softie nearby, if I hadn't already found it.
I peel everything, removing the gills,mouthparts, eyes, wedding tackle, I peel all the claws and legs to tip off the main body, and use the lycra thread to secure the body to the shank of the hook so it comes out like a sausage, then add legs by threading from the first joint to the thickest end of the leg as tipping. The 2 claws are a bait on their own.

Hope this helps,

philtherod
What happened to the eig between Tand n then ?:blink:

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
i remove the lungs to get to thre shell behind them and they don't have any scent so don't do anything anyway.

i find that for the smaller fish, especially for smaller eels, you get more takes without the lungs.

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
alot of the marks i fish , bass marks always fish a lot better when the sea is up moving all the rock witch the crab lie under.i am never to fussy when bassing on rock marks when it comes to peeling the crab i only peel enough to get it on the hook then tie it on.i never be to fussy cod and hound a different matter. as streamline and distance comes in to it. fresh is best cut the lungs gills out if keeping for any length of time.tight lines roamer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts