World Sea Fishing Forums banner

peelers

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  rma 
It is possible to keep 'potential' peelers for your next visit. I've kept them away from the sea for over a week. If you live near the sea you can keep them much longer by dunking them (in a hessian sack) in the sea periodically and giving them time to 'bubble'. Temperature is critical! Under normal circumstances the higher the temperature the shorter the time they need to 'peel' but high temp. will also shorten their 'shelf' life (shell life??!!) as it speeds up the metabolism, including respiration (they are cold-blooded) For this reason i've only ever kept definite peelers rather than 'potential' ones. So my advice would be to keep them alive in as low a temp as you can manage - i put them in a seaweed filled bait box with one freeer block above them. You must make sure that they stay damp even if you have to damp them down with fresh water. I've found that they do not need this most times if the box is in a cold place. As I said I've only tried this for about a week (8 days longest) Doubtless there will be others who have done this for longer = WATCH THIS SPACE!

I'm surprised you only found a few as numbers were growing in the Straits a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps you were'nt looking in the right place!!!! I'm not too certain about all your testing by the way as I don't understand the 'soft to a little bit of pressure' that you mention. I inevitably only take the crab being carried underneath the large male as this is certain to be a peeler and it saves time 'testing'. I appreciate that if numbers are down that you would have to resort to checking every crab that looks 'dull'

Now for £10 you should look .... !! No, only kidding!

I assume that by Nelson's Column you mean the Nelson's memorial statue on the beach below the old church. Next time wait for low tide and prospect about 100yds further towards the Brittania bridge. Look under Serrated or Saw wrack/seaweed as close to the sea as possible. The ledges a little higher are also prettty good where the Knotted Wrack festoon the rocks - look in the small 'ravines'. Got crab there at Christmas. Also it's a great, if VERY ROUGH place for Cod/Bass in season and of course the ubiquitous Doggy and Pouting (great Bass bait!) If you see any locals don't tell them who told you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.