World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i needed some advice on how to keep peelers, i have no special equipment such as aereators etc, is it a case of keeping them in a bucket in some sea water/sand or in the fridge?
Cheers

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
theres no special equipment needed. ideally a couple of stacking trays that wont let the crabs escape and a bucket of sea water is all thats needed.

idealy and for keeping crabs for longer periods or holding them back a fridge is also needed.

if you have a garage or shed with a concrete floor you will be able to keep them for quite a while.

put the crabs in the trays so they arnt stacked up and have a little room to scurry around [keeps them happy]

if you only have about 20 or so then the bottom of a wide bucked should be ok.

put the crabs in water that is just covering them each day for only about 5mins then remove them.

if out of a fridge wet a peice of newspaper and lay this over them it will keep them damp and cooler.

check them each day and freeze cracked ones after shelling.

they must be kept in the shade at all times or they soon die in the heat.

dont keep or leave them in water for any length of time and even 1/4in in your trays and they drown. as soon as all the oxygen is taken out of the ater they still try to breath through it. you can tell when this is happening as you give them a drink because they all have there faces out of the water trying to breath.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Hi, i needed some advice on how to keep peelers, i have no special equipment such as aereators etc, is it a case of keeping them in a bucket in some sea water/sand or in the fridge?
Cheers
just keep them damp in a bucket with wet newspaper or seaweed (with sea water) keep changing the weed though m8t,
best bet is 2 get a air pump m8t & keep them in tanks or buckets with sea water
it will bring them on much faster. just keep checking them & when they start 2 show a crack on the sides, put them in trays in the fridge again kept damp(just a
fine spray of sea water) 2 stop them drying out. this will hold them back until
u need them.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers chaps, mst helpful

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.