World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need a stock of peelers for the summer . i collected some about a month ago but now there are hardly any. when will the crabs start to p[eel again. im from the kent area by the way .

or do i need to buy some???i have tried PM'in crabman with no reply....

cheers james

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
the crab will be peeling until around october in most areas. there can be a lull during summer but they will still be plenty about.

crabman is actually on line at the moment but said in another thread he is concentrating on his exams at the moment.

·
Registered
369 Posts
If you are from kent your unlucky in most respects, normally their is a reasonable run of male crab early season. But the thing is that the ground you have their in most areas is not suitable for female crab, yes you will always find a few bt don't get your hopes up that your gonna fill the freezer up between now and the end of the summer. Also you willfind that if you do find any crabs your way that they will tend to be small now. I suggest that you buy some on a regular basis if you wish to gain a good supply. I amy be able to help you if that is the case.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
they are starting to pick back up again. while i've been getting the punga and velvets this week, i've steadily been getting more common peeler instead of the tinnies.

in a few weeks you should be able to get a couple of dozen a tide, but they prob won't glut like they have done again this year.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey bigguy! Im from kent,medway actually and am trying to find a location,or a few that i can pick up velvets and edibles (peelers or hardbacks) ,any ideas? would be great to know. found a few small edible peelers at minnis a cuple weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Everywhere! Can't be exact. Was just asking as I think a crab the size of a 50p piece looks too small and if too many of these are collected then, the same with fish, breeding crabs will disappear and then there will be no more.
Common or shore crabs are now being collected commercially in certain areas and being exported.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The common shore crab seems to be very popular these days.
As far as I know there is no legal limit.
Edible crabs there is, I dont know offhand what size that is, but you could be faced with a fine if you are caught with undersized edible crabs.
Not only do the fisherman want the common shore crab.
In our area we have had hords of Chinese or similar collecting everything that moves on the mud, for cooking.
This maybe another reason why there is a shortage of crabs these days.

:unsure::unsure:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts