World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick heads up ..........

Went crabbing this morning and picked up no fewer than 96 peeling spider crabs.

All small but perfect for the hounds.....

Freezer now full..... and Im off to west beach.....:)

RichB.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Just a quick heads up ..........

Went crabbing this morning and picked up no fewer than 96 peeling spider crabs.

All small but perfect for the hounds.....

Freezer now full..... and Im off to west beach.....:)

RichB.
Shame you froze them as they are much better fresh. Few starting to show in Sussex, but very hard and not ready to peel.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
shed loads coming off at gosport . very large aswell.

·
Registered
258 Posts
some1 told me u had to be careful when using peeler spider crab as bait cuz you can get in trouble for taking undersized crabs. not sure what the actual rules are tho. any1 know?

·
Registered
124 Posts
As far as am aware the size limit for spider crab is 120mm but how this is measured I don't know. I would presume across the back of the crab.

·
Registered
874 Posts

·
The people's moral compass
12,846 Posts
if they're beg enough to eat, then that's what i do with them now ! never yet had a hound on them, i used a huge softy last year, got 6 baits (had to use 6/0's just to show the hooks !) and they all came back untouched, launched out my last velvet swimmer (defrosted) and within 10 mins i had my pb hound of around 6-7lb on the beach !

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
if they're beg enough to eat, then that's what i do with them now ! never yet had a hound on them, i used a huge softy last year, got 6 baits (had to use 6/0's just to show the hooks !) and they all came back untouched, launched out my last velvet swimmer (defrosted) and within 10 mins i had my pb hound of around 6-7lb on the beach !
Hey Hugh. I found the same thing with spider jellies. They are just all water, and not at all attractive to anything really. I do know people who have caught bass on spide jelliy legs though! I also would prefe to use common shore crab as bait, but just for that three week silly period, I'm thinking that they might be numbe one bait. I'm certainly looking forward to them showing cos I am getting fed up of travelling to Canvey Island fo secent peeler!

·
Registered
65 Posts
just this evening i went smut bashing and i had hermets, peelers and spider peelers. the bigger fish all fell to spider peeler

1 - 11 of 11 Posts