World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Im thinking of trying some pellets as a hook bait.
I havent used pellets before.
Ill be fishing commercial waters with average size carp of 6-10lb.
Whats the best size? Im thinking 10mm, is the 10mm depth or width of the pellet?
Also how long roughly would a 1kg bag last me, session wise.

Thanks for your help.

Localfisher

1,021 Posts
Hello,

Im thinking of trying some pellets as a hook bait.
I havent used pellets before.
Ill be fishing commercial waters with average size carp of 6-10lb.
Whats the best size? Im thinking 10mm, is the 10mm depth or width of the pellet?
Also how long roughly would a 1kg bag last me, session wise.

Thanks for your help.

Localfisher
A 900 gram bag of dynamite expanders will last at least five or so sessions fished on the float with loose feeding half a dozen each cast.
Your question needs the method and idea of what pellet thrown in for it to be clearly answered!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks dirtylittlerockling
I will be floating bread and biscuits on one rod.
On the rod in question, I will be bottom fishing on a hair rig. Perhyapf with PVA mesh bag of smaller pellets.
Id ideally like to use marine halibut pellets.
Which size do you think would suit carp to 10lb, 10mm, 12mm or 14mm.
Also can anyone recommend some decent and reasonably priced pellets with some smaller sizes to go in the bag too!?

Localfisher

1,021 Posts
thanks dirtylittlerockling
I will be floating bread and biscuits on one rod.
On the rod in question, I will be bottom fishing on a hair rig. Perhyapf with PVA mesh bag of smaller pellets.
Id ideally like to use marine halibut pellets.
Which size do you think would suit carp to 10lb, 10mm, 12mm or 14mm.
Also can anyone recommend some decent and reasonably priced pellets with some smaller sizes to go in the bag too!?

Localfisher
Look at the dynamite range of trout pellet but check the fishery first as some do not allow them. Ringer do a large pellet range and good tackle shops will also do a time bomb mix for around a tenner containing all sizes so you can try alternate sizes on the hair. Try adding some pva friendly hemp as it is full of amino acids sure to turn the carp on. Small carp of five pound plus will easily engulf a 12 mil pellet and dont be thinking large carp will only take large baits because they will mouth any size food particle to taste before chosing to swallow it or rejecting it. Just mix it up til you find what works best but remenber to match your hook and hair etc to the size of your bait. For eg on the river for barbel i would use a size 8 for ten mil pellet and a size 6 for 12 mil pellet. No need to go bigger than a size 6 anywhere just alter the length of the hair if needed. I suppose the rule for me would be the smaller the hook and bait the longer the hair and obviously the bigger the hook and bait the shorter the hair.

·
Registered
246 Posts
if you are using the pellets for pellet waggler about 3/4 of bag a day.
but you have to remeber that in the water they grow of be caful but a 6mm-10mm is fine as a hookbait but for carp pva bags go smaler about 4mm-6mm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts