World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
i prefer it to the mk1 as it cast's smoother and further, so much so i sold the mk1's and brought a second mk2. the mag brakes are better as they cant be knocked right of accidently like i did a couple of times baiting up, then having the most aweful birdsnest when i cast out.
i did have a shock once using one of mine after about 6 sessions and that was that the reel was getting a little noisey on the retrieve, and i discovered that the 3 screws on the right hand side of the reel that holds it all together had come loose, and there was a gap between the cage and the side plate. once i had tightened it i have had no problems at all.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Hi ,

same as above : i prefer them to the older 525 (i also have a supermag xtra) as they feel much smoother , more "educated" ... although i don't like the bling-bling gold on the mag2 , but that's just personal .
I found out that my supermag xtra is faster than the mag2 , but so much speed is absolutely useless for fishing as i have to slow it more with the mag to avoid birdnests (red rocket fuel for both reels) .

Gert

·
Registered
74 Posts
I cant compare to the old ones, however, I bought a Penn 525 Mag 2 a few days back. I have previously used Abu 6500 hi speeds, abu 6500 premium and the 7HT Mag. The Penn was the best of them all, it feels solid and smooth. Well recommended.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
the mk1s are far better bulit c.p. lol

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I got a 515 mag 2 and used it for a few months and it was fine but a swap for a 7ht mag came up so it went, i have just got another one i like them that much. I have never had anyproblems with them well apart from sand seems to find its way in to them quite easily so a good clean/service every few sessions is needed.

I also use a 525 mag 2 fitter with ceramic spool bearings and its ace caste a dream.

regards andy:punk:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
the mk1s are far better bulit c.p. lol
i agree with monkeyspank on this one
the american made mark1's are the nutts mk2's are pants the build quality is just not there imo but time will tell pmsl :drunk:

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
OK so they may have saved some weight by drilling holes in the metal handle and having holes in the rubber handle and the ratchet button seems to be made of brass coloured bakolite . I do like the mag adjuster idea of the round dial although a bit stiff. I like the line level idea on the spool .
Beyond that i still prefer the mark 1 mag extra's . Made in USA . Oh Penn ! Why did you sell out to shakespeare , who got took over by Pure fishing. Now their made in china and all we have left is the name.
I liked my pair of 525 Tournamags " nobby's " but i don't suppose they will come back again . I liked the first supermags which were the slidy's.
Still if you look around you can still pick up the USA originals if your patient enough. :secret:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts