World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>Is there anyone out there with some tips for a newbie starting out in Penarth. Have been to Lavernock Point a couple of times and a bit further up towards Sully Island, but I seem to be putting more into the sea than taking out of it. Some scouse geezer told me to fish the tide coming in, but tried this and still no fish. Also lost me sunnies moving stuff up the beach......left them on the floor and the tide took em.

Any advice on this area greatly appreciated, such as marks, baits, rigs, when to go, when not to go. Is it possible to go out a catch mackrel with feathers from the shore this far East?

And what about the marks I was looking at the other day near newport. St. Brides Wentlooge had some rocky points, and shed loads of shells on the beach which must mean plenty of flat fish out there.

Can anyone help me out?</font>

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
<font color='#000000'>You&#39;ve got some good tackle shops up your way. Check out Yellow pages and find Garry Evans&#39; shops. They&#39;ll be able to give you some specific info as to where the fish are. From what I read somewhere the other day there are some very good sole coming from the peat ledges around Newport at the moment. I&#39;d try and give those a shot.

Cheers,

Rhod.</font>

·
Registered
281 Posts
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote (bluemoon @ Aug. 12 2004,14:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><font color='#000000'>Also lost me sunnies moving stuff up the beach......left them on the floor and the tide took em.

Any advice on this area greatly appreciated,
Can anyone help me out?</font>[/b][/quote]
<font color='#000000'>You could try putting them on a string aroud your neck, But make sure this string is long enough as not to restrain breathing. &nbsp;

Regards

Jason</font>

·
Registered
327 Posts
<font color='#000000'>hello Blue,

I used to fish the "Ranny Pool" to the immediate east of Laverock point and catch congers to around 10 lb in the summer over high water on medium tides. You have to be careful on bigger tides not to get pinned against the cliffs. Further around the bay towards Penarth there is a sewer pipe that usually throws up some conger.
Also some very good Mullett fishing close in on floatfished bread with plenty of groundbait.
Its a good winter venue for codling and whiting too.</font>

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote (ja5on @ Aug. 12 2004,16:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote (bluemoon @ Aug. 12 2004,14:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also lost me sunnies moving stuff up the beach......left them on the floor and the tide took em.

Any advice on this area greatly appreciated,
Can anyone help me out?[/b][/quote]
You could try putting them on a string aroud your neck, But make sure this string is long enough as not to restrain breathing.  

Regards

Jason</font>[/b][/quote]
<font color='#000000'>Quick&#33;

Help&#33;

Get a doctor&#33;

My sides......
</font>

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<font color='#000000'>Thanks to those with the tips.
Any more advice, feel free to add..............
</font>

·
Registered
149 Posts
<font color='#000000'>I have fished all around the south wales coast from Redwick to the mumbles in Swansea, and to be honest I&#39;m sick of catching bugger all from the shore. I now save my money wasted on lobbing bait into the sea and just go out on the boat once a month.

I went out on Friday 13th and despite the date caught
3 Smooth Hounds all between 9 - 11lb (really good eating)
1 Ray about 5Lb
about a dozen dogs and two small pouting.

Boat Trip Usuallly costs about £25 -28 + £10-20 on bait and more or less no tackle loss.

Give it a try I&#39;m sure you&#39;ll be converted.</font>

·
Registered
557 Posts
<font color='#810541'>Hi Bear,

Well done. Sounds like proper fishing to me.

Bay the way, How do you prepare and cook the Smooth Hounds ?
I&#39;ve never tried one.</font>

·
Registered
149 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Vlad,

Its a bit tricky but I will describe as best I can

(KIll fish with sharp blow to top of head)

Cut along the top of the fish from tail end to head.
Turn fish over and cut from tail to head and remove inners.
Cut head off but leave tail on.
Take a pair of long nose pliers and peel skin off, from tail end to head. Remove tail fin wash off.

I baked mine in the oven. Took about 20mins at around 190 degrees.

Hope that makes sense.

The Bear</font>

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote (The Bear @ Aug. 19 2004,12:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><font color='#000000'>I have fished all around the south wales coast from Redwick to the mumbles in Swansea, and to be honest I&#39;m sick of catching bugger all from the shore. I now save my money wasted on lobbing bait into the sea and just go out on the boat once a month.

I went out on Friday 13th and despite the date caught
3 Smooth Hounds all between 9 - 11lb (really good eating)
1 Ray about 5Lb
about a dozen dogs and two small pouting.

Boat Trip Usuallly costs about £25 -28 + £10-20 on bait and more or less no tackle loss.

Give it a try I&#39;m sure you&#39;ll be converted.</font>[/b][/quote]
<font color='#0000FF'>I would love to go on a boat trip, but can I just turn up on my own? I thought you needed groups of 5 or so?

Congrats on you Bass by the way. Did you keep it for the pot?</font>

·
Registered
170 Posts
<font color='#000000'>penarth not much good at the moment try ogmore-by-sea i had a 8lb bass from there last week:D</font>

·
Registered
557 Posts
<font color='#810541'>Hi merv_shill &#33;

Well done for the bass&#33;
Could you tell me, please, more about exactly where in Ogmore and how you cought the bass, . Was it from the deeps or from the estuary mouth? What bait, rig and tide?
I fished at Ogmore a month ago and blanked.
Thanks&#33;</font>

·
Registered
170 Posts
<font color='#000000'>hi vlad
caught the bass off the shingle beach made my own rig up(i always use my own)mainline 60lb, hook lenght, hook lenght 30lb,hook size 2/0, mackerel stripe and a small bit of squid about 40 yards out on low water it took me about 30 mins to have the bite line went slackdid not use a grip weight just a smooth all round weight 4oz going down tonight to try my luck again i find the night fishing better.</font>

·
Registered
557 Posts
<font color='#810541'>Thanks for the info merv_shill&#33;

I did basically the same on  similar rigs baited with macky, sand eels and crab. Didn&#39;t get a bite, but the fish is obviously coming back after a very quiet summer. Do you live locally there?
I am considering to come to Porthcawl for the weekend. If you are fishing this weekend, give me a shout. I&#39;d love to tag along.( if it&#39;s OK with you ).
Good luck tonight. Let me know how it went.
Thanks&#33;</font>

·
Registered
149 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Usually its a group booking thing but when I first started going on the boats me and my mate just used to phone the skipper to see if he had room. As with the last time we went out two of the guys never turned up so we had to cover their costs. Try Steve Jones on the Lady Hellen chartered form penarth marina or any of the other boats, check the links on the boat section there&#39;s plenty to choose from.

Bass was beutiful plenty for the pot and at least three more meals in the freezer.</font>

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote (merv_shill @ Aug. 23 2004,16:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><font color='#000000'>penarth not much good at the moment try ogmore-by-sea i had a 8lb bass from there last week:D</font>[/b][/quote]
<font color='#0000FF'>Hello again.

Have checked out some maps of Ogmore, looks interesting. Won&#39;t be able to make it down there for a couple of weeks, but I was just wondering where the best marks are, the Ogmore-on-Sea side of the river, or further around towards Newton point.

Thanks</font>

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote (The Bear @ Aug. 24 2004,16:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><font color='#000000'>Usually its a group booking thing but when I first started going on the boats me and my mate just used to phone the skipper to see if he had room. As with the last time we went out two of the guys never turned up so we had to cover their costs. Try Steve Jones on the Lady Hellen chartered form penarth marina or any of the other boats, check the links on the boat section there&#39;s plenty to choose from.

Bass was beutiful plenty for the pot and at least three more meals in the freezer.</font>[/b][/quote]
<font color='#0000FF'>Thanks for this. I will give them a ring soon. I got a freezer full of mackeral, sandeels and squid I am itching to use. This would be alright off a boat, wouldn&#39;t it?</font>

·
Registered
149 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Yeah your that bait would be fine, although if the Smoothhounds are still running I&#39;d suggest you take some rag & crab. In fact we were using some really manky rag which seemed to put a good scent into the water and proved very successful.

Good Luck</font>

1 - 18 of 18 Posts