World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, a few os us thinking seriously of trying Penarth early October. We might use a charter boat, but would rather bring our own boat.
Any advice as to species, rigs, baits, artificials and size of weight needed as i think tides are a bit fierce.
Any advice please ?

Thank you

Pete

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
hiya, october will be cod, so uptiders, grip leads 6/8 oz, and unwashed squid, and lug worm, look at at least one pound of lug per person.
october is usually pretty good with cod around 5/8 lb common.
also rays, conger, bass. take fish baits along as no bait can be caught.
head up channel to the newport marks, about 10 miles east of penarth, watch out for the tide, wind against in an easterly can be bad.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I wouldnt bother with the cod fishing. Over the last 5 years its been very hit and miss, most of the time miss??

You can still get some good fishing around the cardiff barry area at this time of year though. Mainly decent sized eels, still bass about then and also some decent blondes if you head a little west(aberthaw/stout area)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi and thanks for that,

Would a 2 up 1 down rig work and if we used a running trace does the length matter ie what do you chaps use locally please ?

I read on a charter boat website that up to 2lb leads can be needed to hold bottom, is that all the time or just the springs.

Thank you

Pete

1 - 4 of 4 Posts