World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how the competition went down penarth sunday?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
its bad isnt it lads, dont no wot 2 expect for next winter now, signs r bad,, it makes u wonder where the fish r goin 2 come from nextyear..

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
the problme is that we are getting a smaller winter, from my experience the start of this winter was brilliant with lots of big whiting coming in. BUt has died down massively.

NO complaints tho, the rays will be coming in soon. This time of year is always a little slow anyway.

kelvin

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
smaller winter, well maybe m8, i never thought of it that way, i was in my m8s boat in august and we were pullin out 5 and 6 lb rays left right and centre, so the skate season may turn out 2 be a good 1..the summer fishing has got 2 beat this winter............... HASNT IT..

·
Registered
81 Posts
I havn't been fishing that long and I've never tried for ray. Reckon I'll fish further afield than Penarth this year and see if I can bag one :)

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Bowen, you can have ALL of mine if you like!!!!!!!!!
blueskip

·
Registered
281 Posts
rays are cracking to eat. tried it once, never again. i felt awful after it tho, such a lovely creature and so much waste

never fished for ray since!

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Rick Stein has a recipe for rays, wing it, skin it, remove the "cheek balls", & marinade the lot in white wine overnight.
Fry spring onions, garlic, root ginger together in a pan until they are transparent, season with salt & pepper & add to the marinading ray.
Bring it to the boil stirring all the time, then simmer gently for 20 mins, adding a little dry sherry whilst it is simmering.
Remove from the heat & allow it to cool, remove the ray from the liquid & sling it to the cat, & drink the marinade!!!!!!!
blueskip

·
Registered
59 Posts
excuse my ignorance but never caught ray. are they common.
try to catch and release as much as possible (when i catch) so wouldnt like eat something that might be scarce.
oh yeah also when ,how, and where do you catch them in the south east wales area.
gratefull if anyone has the time and energy to answer all of above
cheers
fandango

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you want to catch ray try deeps, porthcawl pier, witches point, southerndown beach and the beaches west of porthcawl. The long arm of the steel works is great but you need a permit from SCOW. Squid and sandeel wrap I've found to be the best, fish baits like mackerel and herring also work. Pulley rig with a longish snood and a gripper. If you fish high up take a drop net.

Up until last year I had never caught one, but after reading mags etc decided to target them with great success, namely the Pier fishing out to sea in Porthcawl, evening time in september and the long arm off the Corus steel works again summer time. TRY IT YOU NEVER KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Blue skip if i was you i would sell the boat,waders,floatation suit,wellies,rods and reels and anything else you use for fishing buy a microphone and a nice suit and take up being a comedian you would probably do a far better job, after reading your last post you are wasted, or start writing your BLUESKIP DIARIES your posts are great, keep them coming. HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts