World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<font color='#000000'>Hi guys,

For anyone in the Penarth/South Wales area, is fishing permitted off Penarth Pier? And if so is there anything to catch there?

I was told that it`s closed for fishing over the summer months but is reopened in September, but I havn`t found anything to confirm this.

Any feedback would be great,

Thanks,
Sutmae.</font>

·
Registered
33 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Never fished the pier myself but a mate confirms the pier is closed to anglers july and august and is reopend for fishing 1st september. Good luck, if you fish it leave some feedback.:)</font>

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<font color='#000000'>Thanks, I`ll take a mooch down there saturday afternoon, see if I can get my hands on anything. So far fishing from Penarth has been quite fruitless, one small pouting and thats it - and he was so small that I didn`t know it was on the line&#33;

Still, I`ll give you an update over the weekend as to how it goes.

Sutmae</font>

·
Registered
81 Posts
<font color='#000000'>The pier is also closed in June .. so off limits to fishing for 3 months of the year. It&#39;s not the best summer venue, mostly pouting although you can pick up the odd school bass and dover sole. Last year I caught a mackerel off there (It must have got lost). There are more productive spots very close to the pier. Try lavernock point and the ranny pool (low water venues). There are decent conger in the ranny and mullet and bass off lavernock. If you move around the corner from lavernock point to St. Marys well bay you can fish a sandbar at low tide which produces dover sole. Be carefull fishing these venes on spring tides as you can easily get cut off. Check this website for more detailed info, good luck ...
Local marks ..</font>

·
Registered
81 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Also check out the penarth sac website to see what&#39;s getting caught and when the competitions are on.

Penarth SAC

I do fish the pier fairly regularly, the corners at the top are the best pegs as you can cast into the deep water channel used by the waverly and the bigger fish tend to come from there. Any other peg I tend to have more luck with worm bait (usually rag) and small (2 or 4) hooks on 3 hook flappers.

Winter time there are lots of whiting and not much else. I saw a few codling caught but not very many.

It does get busy on weekends, especially when there&#39;s a competition on.

OK .. thats all I have to say &nbsp;

Cheers &#33;</font>

G

·
<font color='#000000'>Penarth Pier rocks has never disssapointed me. Last year when I had a couple of hours to spare, popped down there trying tempt a lone cod with some whole squid on a a pulley pennel rig with 4/0 hooks bagged my self in rapid succesion &nbsp;4 or 5 whiting just over the pound. &nbsp;I f fished just the left of the pier with the tide on the ebb. &nbsp;Best fished a night, and it very comfortable fishing under the street light with handy benches hear and there. &nbsp;Not the first place I would choose to fish in the area but ideal for an hour or too. &nbsp;When the fish are in &nbsp;
</font>

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<font color='#000000'>Hi,

Thanks for the replys and advice, I`ve only fished down the marina side of the beach just by the locks.

I`ll head down to the pier this weekend. Any chance you could offer some quick directions to the Ranny Pool? Or even Lavernock

I havn`t lived around here long and my local geography is poor to say the least.

Cheers,
Sutmae</font>

·
Registered
170 Posts
<font color='#000000'>hi &nbsp;i fished a comp on sunday off penarth pier 13lb conger won the comp &nbsp; my mate caught a 2lb conger came 6 in the comp won a nice rod &nbsp; &nbsp;the big conger &nbsp;was caught off lavernock point</font>

·
Registered
81 Posts
<font color='#000000'>There is another competition on Sunday from 4pm till 8pm so the pier will be busy Sunday afternoon.</font>

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<font color='#000000'>Hi,

BowenP, Thanks for the map, I should be able to find if from there.

I`m not sure if I should go to the Pier or Lavernock now, on Saturday. I`ve the posters for the competition on Sunday so I was staying well away then.

I`ll let you know how it goes...

Sutmae</font>

·
Registered
7 Posts
ive fished at the pier a couple of times and fished at the far corners and i often have good luck using ragworm and mackerel fillets had a couple of small whiting and pouting but still had a great day out:victory:

and i also caught a really big ....cold:cold:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts