World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

WSF Primary Administrator.
Do you guys change them for smaller?
Or leave as is.......
I have used both standard and modified.

Just ordered some siwash hooks for the rears....

Registered
Do you guys change them for smaller?
Or leave as is.......
Before doing so. @myfish made some incredibly interesting comments on the 'Rudra' thread about balancing for our waters, which you might wish to read?

It strikes me you might be better advised putting bigger ones on?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Before doing so. @myfish made some incredibly interesting comments on the 'Rudra' thread about balancing for our waters, which you might wish to read?

Cheers.
Have read and absorbed every word!
I am in the bubble of interest........

Registered

Thanks.

Some pencils sit at steeper angles than your average topwater. I would leave the rear hook, big.
OK, as some pencils and pencil poppers are narrow bodied and, you are at times thrashing the lure, before the pause.

whoa ... hold up there.

1) Pencil with a walk the dog.
2) USA Pencil style, trash and stop but... lure doesn't move away.

A) In a narrow bodied pencil, I have often changed the belly hook to a quad point. This stops the hook swinging up, catching the lure and sticking, now useless in a zero hookup position.

I use both methods with no 2, the most effective, for us.

The second means you will need to nod the rod tip in an oscillating pendulum motion. Stiff rods are CRAP at this.

Anyway, this aside, I will generally load my cotton cordell pencils. This will be with oil, or ... shot (steel or lead depending on tone I require).

Rear hook is anchor weight, If you go smaller, add solder wire to the shank or, you will get massive hook swing in the action of the lure.

Hook swing is the points repeatedly contacting the lures finish. I don't care about that, but... I do care that, should a bass suck my lure when it's rocking, the hook points MIGHT be facing the wrong way.

Methods to combat this...

1) use a 'heavier' rear hook.
2) use a dressed rear hook to add stability and, it looks like the tail anyway.
3) I do this on all my pencils... add some silicon tubing between lure and hook shank to keep the hooks perpendicular to the lure no matter how it rocks.

Just no3 alone, will increase your hook ups no end and, if on a WTD style lure, consider the belly hook too. It will still move, just not be free to be in the wrong place to hook fish.

Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts