World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up an Alan Yates video for a £1 at a pound shop.Its very informative and Alan demonstrates a pendulum cast or rather a stumpy pendulum cast as he calls it.The full cast is a lot more complicated he says.In the video he swings the lead back then to the side and round and it flies.Now I have always cast over my head (lob I think you call it) and I can get near to 150 yds on a good day.My best distance was 350yds :eek: at Mevagissey it would have been further but I ran out of line and snapped off.Ooops I forgot to mention the lift it had via the small lobster boat I landed the lead on lol.Anyway can anyone tell me of any links with video clips demonstrating casting or tell me more about the pendulum cast or any other style that might be better to start with...thanks :)

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Hi Bigfish.
Ryan might be the man to send a Pm to as he is a casting instructor.
Noticed you are using the Penn 15 ft.
How are you getting on with it?
I picked one up myself this at the start of the year and have found it a nice rod to use, but a few others aren`t too keen.I`ve been using mine mainly for schoolies at Rossall,fairly clean ground and the bite detection has been spot on.
Let us know what you think bud,
All the best bud,
Terry F.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a bit of a monster and takes some getting used to but I have to say the bite detection is very good and its well balanced.However my arms don't last long if I chuck feathers out with it, half an hour of constant retrieving I find is enough, but the distance you hit is a lot better.Off to North Cornwall next week until September so it will get a good outing soon.
Thanks for the reply.How do I contact Ryan.
Thanks Terry

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Look on the "Members list" at the top of the page then click on RYAN.
PM. RYAN will be one of the options.
Cheers Bud,
Terry F.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hey Guys,

I think I have seen the video to which you refer and IMHO the cast Alan performs would be better described as an Airialised Ground Cast. Lots of people cast with a swinging lead of sorts, but again in my opinion its wrong to say they are casting Pendulum style just because the leads swinging.

The best advice I can give is go see an instructor who will put you right, you can also have a look at Neil Mackellows website which shows OTG and pendulum casting.

One word of warning your Penn rod is great but not suited to pendulum casting, if you are serious about learning you will need a rod no longer than 14ft with around 12.8 being the best choice for learning with.

You will also need to start casting OTG before attempting the pendulum cast. You could start this with a 15ft rod although these new longer continental rods are better suited (IMHO) to overhead casts with fixedspool reels and light line to get the best out of them.

Regards Ryan. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
i recently learnt, you do have to make sure the rod is ment for it though
i aint anything like good at it yet but i can get a lead near on 150yrds
i have 2 rods which i use, a zziplex 3500 and an abu suveran SX
the zziplex is ment for this type of casting and i can get it going dead striaght and far (during the day anyway)
my abu rod is ment for "all types of casting" and i have problems with it loading up to quickly and my casts going badly left
moral of the story, buy a rod ment for pendulum casting if you are gonna learn

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Ryan and Smooth One for your help its all been taken on board.
I have had a look at Neil Macs site and to be honest it was all a bit to quick for me and the stills were a bit on the small side.
However if anyone knows of any casting instructors that live in North staffordshire please let me know and can I just say a big thankyou to Weeverboy for his help too :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts