World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to have a go at Penmon on Saturday night to see if I could catch another bass after breaking my bass virginity 2 weeks ago.

I decided to kick off with a floating plug just as the tide was turning but I wasn't confident in getting any takes as the mackerel aren't in properly yet. I gave it half an hour all the same though, working the plug up about a hundred yards of shoreline to the right of the lighthouse.

I then got talking to a Welsh chap who tuned up with his gear and a few peeler in a bucket. He basically informed me that I needed peeler if I wanted to catch at Penmon.

Anyhow, on his advice I thought it was about high time that I sussed out how and where to find these peeler so I spent half an hour looking under weed and pulling the back legs off a few crabs. As luck would have it I managed to find three and I'm much more confident now that I know what I'm looking for.

So, I baited up the biggest peeler on a basic one hook rig with a three foot tail and chucked it out about 25 yards and waited eagerly. I was convinced that I was gonna get a bass.

Well, after about 10 minutes of no action I suddenly got a massive bang on the rod. I picked it up and waited for the bite to develop but unfortunately it didn't.....Is this a common occurence when fishing for bass in this way??:unsure:

Anyway, I spent the rest of the evening there fishing with the peeler I had found in the hope of a bass but nothing else happened. I decided to pack it up when a porpoise surfaced about 40 yards out.

All in all though I wasn't disappointed with the fishing session cos even though I hadn't caught I still learned quite a bit.

So Bass......until next time.....I'll be back!!:):):):)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Bass can often just hit a bait hard then vanish. Think when this happens you always wish you had used a bigger hook:unsure:

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Or even a small hook! In the days when I actually caught any fish I used peeler freelined but let the line slack with the rod on a rest (digging fork in those days, so I could see what the fish was doing when it picked up the bait. The line would be slack and lying on the surface, then would slowly stiffen and speed/acceleate out in a big Vee - great sight!!. It felt no restriction as it was not a 'bolt' rig to pull out or in. Inevitably you fish close to shore because you only have the weight of the bait to cast (I had an 8' spinning rod (a feeder rod now)), but then that's what the bass are doing. They are not shoaling after sandeel but doing what you are doing - fishing!! A free spool reel is made for this style and with a ratchet allows you to carry on crabbing (bad form as you should be concentrating! However I sometimes think that getting bait is more fun than using it!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tip Swellyman. I'll give free lining a try sometime. As you say, its as near to perfect presentation as we can get.

Cheers

Nicknack

1 - 4 of 4 Posts